RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

My WHS 2011 Build

Technogod

I've listened to alot of podcasts and read alot of posts regarding how to manage your data without drive extender. This is what I've come up with. Intel DG45ID motherboard. This motherboard is still supported by Intel. I'll still be able to use my Intel Q6700 processor and 4GB DDR2 memory. I have 3 Seagate 1.5TB hard drives and a Western Digital 1TB hard drive. I'll load the OS on the Western Digital 1TB hard drive and install the RAID drivers and have RAID enabled in the BIOS.

I'll create a RAID 5 array using the 3 Seagate 1.5TB hard drives. This RAID 5 array will exceed the 2TB limit but I won't be booting from it or backing it up since it will be protected from a single drive failure by RAID 5. I'll use the move folder wizard to move the Videos folder to the RAID 5 array drive letter. I have 1.66TB of videos in the Videos folder. I'll use Server backup to backup my client computers and OS located on the Western Digital 1T hard drive. I have 691GB of PC backups.

I have two TiVo's. I load TiVo Desktop on my WHS and setup auto transfers to move shows off my TiVo's to my Videos folder on my WHS. I also use kmttg and streambaby which are java based programs. I use kmttg to view the shows on my TiVo's because it is faster. I use streambaby to stream shows on my WHS to my TiVo's. My TiVo Premiere streams HD video with no problem. Unfortunately my TiVo HD can't handle it. I haven't installed streambaby or kmttg on WHS 2011 yet. Please leave any comments or suggestions.

Edited by Technogod

I've listened to alot of podcasts and read alot of posts regarding how to manage your data without drive extender. This is what I've come up with. Intel DG45ID motherboard. This motherboard is still supported by Intel. I'll still be able to use my Intel Q6700 processor and 4GB DDR2 memory. I have 3 Seagate 1.5TB hard drives and a Western Digital 1TB hard drive. I'll load the OS on the Western Digital 1TB hard drive and install the RAID drivers and have RAID enabled in the BIOS.

I'll create a RAID 5 array using the 3 Seagate 1.5TB hard drives. This RAID 5 array will exceed the 2TB limit but I won't be booting from it or backing it up since it will be protected from a single drive failure by RAID 5. I'll use the move folder wizard to move the Videos folder to the RAID 5 array drive letter. I have 1.66TB of videos in the Videos folder. I'll use Server backup to backup my client computers and OS located on the Western Digital 1T hard drive. I have 691GB of PC backups.

I have two TiVo's. I load TiVo Desktop on my WHS and setup auto transfers to move shows off my TiVo's to my Videos folder on my WHS. I also use kmttg and streambaby which are java based programs. I use kmttg to view the shows on my TiVo's because it is faster. I use streambaby to stream shows on my WHS to my TiVo's. My TiVo Premiere streams HD video with no problem. Unfortunately my TiVo HD can't handle it. I haven't installed streambaby or kmttg on WHS 2011 yet. Please leave any comments or suggestions.

Impressive and should be a nice system. One suggestion is to spend $80 and get a card for your RAID. It will be easier to port to a different system or recover than the native controller. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.