RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
tinkererguy

What about building WHS2011 box with Z68 Motherboard (like ASUS P8Z68-V PRO) at $300, with Intel Core i7-2600S (65 watts) $300?

timekills

A little off topic, but I am in the process of upgrading my 2008R2 host from an H55/i3-530 setup to a Z68/i5-2500K setup. I am going to see if the 60GB Vertex2 I have installed on the mobo SATA port can be used for caching in Server 2008R2 - and if so, if has any measurable impact on performance. I'm also curious if it can/will work with any of the virtualized OS's, specifically the main OS "drives." I will migrate them to a Velociraptor I also have attached to the motherboard.

I know you've been taking the ESXi path; thought I'd try the MS Hyper-V path. One concern I have is my host OS is already in a hardware RAID-1 enclosure, and the caching requires the SSD and OS drive to be configured as RAID through the motherboard's BIOS. As the OS RAID-1 is external to the mobo, it should be transparent to the mobo BIOS, but...well there are always challenges with using multiple echelons of RAID. Not to mention I have a separate Highpoint 2720 with a RAID-5 config for data as well, although I've disabled its boot ability through its BIOS.

Kershek

A little off topic, but I am in the process of upgrading my 2008R2 host from an H55/i3-530 setup to a Z68/i5-2500K setup. I am going to see if the 60GB Vertex2 I have installed on the mobo SATA port can be used for caching in Server 2008R2 - and if so, if has any measurable impact on performance. I'm also curious if it can/will work with any of the virtualized OS's, specifically the main OS "drives." I will migrate them to a Velociraptor I also have attached to the motherboard.

I know you've been taking the ESXi path; thought I'd try the MS Hyper-V path. One concern I have is my host OS is already in a hardware RAID-1 enclosure, and the caching requires the SSD and OS drive to be configured as RAID through the motherboard's BIOS. As the OS RAID-1 is external to the mobo, it should be transparent to the mobo BIOS, but...well there are always challenges with using multiple echelons of RAID. Not to mention I have a separate Highpoint 2720 with a RAID-5 config for data as well, although I've disabled its boot ability through its BIOS.

In doing searches for my issue, I came across this thread. Can you tell me how your experience went? I just purchased a P8Z68-V Pro with an i5-2500K and am trying to boot Hyper-V from a USB stick using the method here: http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/BootHVSR2FromUSB . It shows the Windows loading bar but then goes black and never comes up to a login. I'm thinking it's driver-related, but I'm stuck as to how to get MB drivers into a pre-created VHD like that.

Appreciate any insight.

Guest no-control

He was using Hyper-V via a windows Server 2008R2 installation. If you're going to use the free Hyper-V server 2008 then you need to do the following

1. Verify that all of you hardware is supported by Hyper-V drivers.
  2. Verify that the hardware CPU/Mobo are capable for virtualization, look for VT-D or AMD-V
  3. Follow the installation walkthroughs we have in the blogs PART 1 & PART 2
  4. Only install the base hardware needed for the Hypervisor install. No storage drives, controllers, etc... add those after you have the hypervisor running.
  5. Make sure that the PC you're going to manage it with has the RSAT package intstalled and that you're using Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate. HP will not work.
  6. Also realize that hyper-V is meant for an AD domain install. So installing on a home workgroup requires a bit of troubleshooting and some extra steps to get it working right

Edited by no-control

Kershek

I'm pretty sure the hardware isn't supported. Can I inject drivers into the installation?

Guest no-control

if the hw isn't supported, then its not going to work. If its just a lack of native drivers then yes you can them in during install.

tinkererguy

I should add that vZilla worked out great:

http://tinkertry.com/vzilla

with smooth running for over a year now, and excellent speed and driver support for VMware ESXi 5.0, hosting WHS2011 VM fulltime, along with a lot of other VMs I use occasionally.