Captain Reynolds

WHS 2011 Connector Software won't install - Help please!

24 posts in this topic

I have finally upgraded to the RTM edition WHS2011, and the install seemed to go without a hitch, but I am now having serious problems getting computers to connect. I have tried both with my main rig and my laptop. When I run the connector software, it first tells me that there is another install procedure running or restart pending. When I reboot, that error dissappears and everything seems to run fine. It finds the server, I click next, it warns me my computer may restart several times, I click next and am then asked for my password. After I have entered the password, I get an error saying "Cannot connect this computer to the network - An unexpected error has occurred" When I click on the troubleshooting link, the only relevant suggestion is regarding non-ASCII characters in the computer name. My computers are called ScoutPC and MiniMePC so I can't see that being the issue. I have searched these forums and online, and so far have tried the following:

1. I disabled my Avira Antivir Professional

2. I disabled windows firewall on both the client and the server

3. I have double checked the user accounts and the details are correct (would I get this error if they were wrong or would it tell me?)

4. I have started the Windows Media Centre Receiver & Scheduler services, as they were not running

Additional information:

1. When the server starts, it takes me straight to a screen that says "The username or password is incorrect" When I click ok, I am back to the usual logon screen with Administrator as the user. When I enter the password it logs me in just fine. Is this normal?

2. There is only one error listed in the dashboard - One or more services are not running. The service that is not running is 'Active Directory Certificate Services'. When I go into services and try to start it, I get an error that says ' Windows could not start the Active Directory Certificate Services on Local Computer, along with a server specific error code 939523595

I am not sure what else to try other than a new install - has anyone experienced this before?

Captain

Check the discussion topic "WHS 2011 connector wont connect", in there we talk about this same issue. It seems if you disable IP6 and then run the connector software it will work. You will have to enter the IPV4 IP address of the server to complete the install but it does work. This is certainly a bug.

Diehard

Are you saying that if the server and client times are off you will get this message as well?

Captain

Check the discussion topic "WHS 2011 connector wont connect", in there we talk about this same issue. It seems if you disable IP6 and then run the connector software it will work. You will have to enter the IPV4 IP address of the server to complete the install but it does work. This is certainly a bug.

Diehard

Are you saying that if the server and client times are off you will get this message as well?

There have been reports of issues trying to connect to the server and it was related to dates and times including Time Zone.

Ed Bott recently commented on some old WHS2011 release notes that told users to make sure that both the server and PC were set to PST time zones.

I plan on using MS Find My Server Wizard

Anyone use it yet?

This solved my problem. Was having an identical issue until I used this thing.

The problem is most definitely related to IPv6. If you go through the GUI to get to WHS to download the installer, the URL bar generates an IPv6 address and that seems to block the installation. If you get to the page via this utility, it'll route you through an IPv4 address. Download the utility from this URL and it'll install properly (at least it did for me).

Seems that routers have trouble being told to find a node via IPv6.

This solved my problem. Was having an identical issue until I used this thing.

The problem is most definitely related to IPv6. If you go through the GUI to get to WHS to download the installer, the URL bar generates an IPv6 address and that seems to block the installation. If you get to the page via this utility, it'll route you through an IPv4 address. Download the utility from this URL and it'll install properly (at least it did for me).

Seems that routers have trouble being told to find a node via IPv6.

I have not used this tool but I do plan to try it out. I am not sure I agree with you on the router issue. I have connected a number of computers to the server and most of them on the same router. Some have worked, some have not. I think that all of them that have not work has been 64bit OSs. Also, it fails even if you run the connection setup software from the command line on the local machine. I will test this to be sure but I think I have it right.

At the end of day it is a bug. We should not have to work around this.

It's only an assessment. The fact that I hit a brick wall when trying to communicate to my server via an IPv6 address then the issue corrects itself after I try it through an IPv4 address definitely suggests the complication lies in that area.

However, in hindsight, my router's no slouch (D-Link DIR-655) so I really have to think this falls to MS' blunder. I don't think I should say my router can't locate a node based on an IPv6 address. This is probably more of a communication error that springs up from the server trying to reach a client. However, I stand by my theory that this is a matter of the v6 address getting in the way.

WHS is supposed to be easy to set up (since it's for non-techies to manage and centralize their data) but with shot-in-the-dark garbage like this plaguing the RTM release, it's anything but (I wouldn't have even been able to offer a diagnosis without my background as an IT student).

Edited by SolidSonicTH

Good to know that tool worked.

I've been moving data since Friday night, and will finally be done with that phase.

My install will be tomorrow or more likely Wednesday.

FYI, I picked up the digital copy of WHS2011 Unleashed. The author suggests assigning a static ip on the server NIC (I always have on my DIR-855), so I'll set mine up as suggested. Lots of info that's been helpful.

I completely agree. It is definitely the way the MS is handling it. I think they are trying to make it easy but (as I just said in a post on another topic) to what end are they trying to make it simple? This is supposed to be a product that is only for OEMs. It seems that MS are trying to make it idiot proof and in the process creating the need for these workarounds. Apparently they think OEMs are not very smart and need the extra help installing the software.