RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Why 2.5" drives for server OS

st3lvio

What is the advantage of using a 2.5" HD vs a 3.5" HD for the system drive in a server?

I see a lot of discussion of using 2 2.5" drives in the IcyDock and mirroring them together, which is fine.

But, why use a 2.5" vs a 3.5" if I choose to just create a backup image of the OS.

Thanks

Not a lot really. I use 2.5" drives because I have a few laying around. They're low capacity and low power. In fact, they're pretty much my default drive for most of my projects now adays unless I really need the size and/or spindle performance of a 3.5" drive.

What is the advantage of using a 2.5" HD vs a 3.5" HD for the system drive in a server?

I see a lot of discussion of using 2 2.5" drives in the IcyDock and mirroring them together, which is fine.

But, why use a 2.5" vs a 3.5" if I choose to just create a backup image of the OS.

Thanks

The IcyDock can't fit 3.5" drives.

Not a lot really. I use 2.5" drives because I have a few laying around. They're low capacity and low power. In fact, they're pretty much my default drive for most of my projects now adays unless I really need the size and/or spindle performance of a 3.5" drive.

Ok, Thanks. No real reason for me to not use my existing 3.5" for my WHS2011 upgrade.

I use them mainly because a two drive mirror only uses one bay.

That is the reason I used it along...I ended up using all my SATA ports and that doesn't include the RocketRAID card that will provide connections for 5 drives in Raid 5

Guest no-control

I use them because I find buying anything smaller than 500GB (even then) is stupid for the price they charge. I don't like to have data on my OS so it ends up being wasted space. So I always did my Server builds with 2.5" drive. But even now its becoming hard to find cheap small drives 320GB is about the smallest you can go before getting bent over.

Same for HTPC's I just need them to hold the O/S and few misc programs.

I've been switching over to 30GB SSDs lately for everything because the price is starting to be reasonable.

I use them because I find buying anything smaller than 500GB (even then) is stupid for the price they charge. I don't like to have data on my OS so it ends up being wasted space. So I always did my Server builds with 2.5" drive. But even now its becoming hard to find cheap small drives 320GB is about the smallest you can go before getting bent over.

Same for HTPC's I just need them to hold the O/S and few misc programs.

I've been switching over to 30GB SSDs lately for everything because the price is starting to be reasonable.

Agree with your logic & thanks for the reply.

Currently I have my WHSv1 OS on a WD500GB Black which I've been happy with. I bought a WD 250GB 2.5" Scorpio Black ($50) thinking I would use it as my new OS drive, but realized I don't have a place for the WD500GB Black. My WHS only has 2TB Caviar Greens & I'm sticking with that logic for my data. So, I'm going to RMA the 250GB 2.5" back to NwEgg. I picked up the popular RocketRAID 2680 and look forward to my first dive into RAID. You guys have been a great resorce on this subject the last several months - so thanks.

I'm moving over to WHS2011 and in the process of removing 13 2TB drives 1 at a time. :( I'll be running a 8 x 2TB RAID5 array as my movie share. The other drives I'll use WHS2011 backup feature & mirror my more valuable data.

If this was a new build, (it is not) I would go with the 2.5" drive for my OS as well. But, my Norco RCP-4020 is not limited to space. B)

Most 2.5" drives are quieter, so that helps too.

Edited by usacomp2k3