RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Upgrading to Sandy Bridge - thoughts and advice please!

Captain Reynolds

Guest no-control

ASRock are basically Asus boards. That board looks very nice and the Max IOPS SSD is a beast!

I actually saw your write up soon after my post! Do you have your 240GB Vertex 3 yet? I decided to bite the bullet with this build and have also ordered a 120GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS for the OS, as well as a brand new Coolermaster HAF 932 case to put it all in. Still waiting for those last few items, but my Motherboard, CPU & RAM arrived yesterday. I thought I would pass on my first impressions of the ASRock P67 Extreme4 motherboard as I haven't seen any mention of it in here so far...

It comes in a nice bruched metal looking box and was well packaged. It came with the following accessories:

2 x Molex to SATA power cables

4 x Black SATA cables

1 x Floppy Cable (giggle)

1 x SLI Bridge

1 x USB3.0 header

That last one helped me make up my mind to choose this board over the Gigabyte UD4, as well as the fact this one was cheaper. The USB 3.0 header also includes a mounting bracket for a 2.5" drive, which I thought was a nice touch. The board itself seems to be layed out quite nicely - my only concern is the horizontally mounted SATA ports, but that shouldn't be an issue in the big HAF932 case. I also noticed a molex connector near the PCI-E slots which says it is for graphics cards, but they don't include a molex to 6 pin converter. I do like the built in power and reset buttons also. Will follow up once the SSD and case arrive and the build gets underway!

Good luck with the build. One suggestion is NOT to use the intel rapid storage drivers unless you need them. I have seen a few issues with them. You will love the Vertex and no I do not have the 240 yet as it is not available yet in the MAX version. Will get one when they arrive in the consumer stream. One other piece of advice, that board like the Asus, comes with a Marvel 6G and an Intel 6G controller. Use only the Intel version on the Vertex 3 otherwise you will loose about 30-40 of your performance. Your reads will go from ~550 down to 400, and you writes will go from 500 to 375. The Marvel controller works great for the other stuff but a 6G SSD.

Thanks for the input - I will definitely check the manual to see which of the SATA ports are the intel ones before install. Vertex 3 arrived today - all that performance potential just sitting there in its little black case, just waiting for the case now! Thought I would post a few pics too...

2011-05-11%2022.57.29.jpg?w=8407805f

2011-05-11%2023.02.08.jpg?w=51b502d8

2011-05-11%2023.02.58.jpg?w=25f4302a

Good luck with the build. One suggestion is NOT to use the intel rapid storage drivers unless you need them. I have seen a few issues with them...

What have you seen?