RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Meta Manager

solaralchemist

Ok so now that I'm getting ready to officially start using WHS 2011 as my main media server, I was wondering if i should stick with my old method of meta data management or go with something different.

I have been using Media Browser + Meta <Browser> for almost 2 years now and have been happy using it.

But with the new My Movies which supports TV Shows, I was wondering if I should switch to that!

So my questions are as follows:

1-What are the benefits of using My Movies over Meta <Browser>?

2-Does My Movies work with Media Browser? If not does the generic Media Center provide the close to the same experience e.g. (recently added, watched,... etc)

3-Several HTPCs will be accessing the Meta Data will it be faster on My Movies vs Media Browser?

Thanks in advance for the help

Ok so now that I'm getting ready to officially start using WHS 2011 as my main media server, I was wondering if i should stick with my old method of meta data management or go with something different.

I have been using Media Browser + Meta <Browser> for almost 2 years now and have been happy using it.

But with the new My Movies which supports TV Shows, I was wondering if I should switch to that!

So my questions are as follows:

1-What are the benefits of using My Movies over Meta <Browser>?

2-Does My Movies work with Media Browser? If not does the generic Media Center provide the close to the same experience e.g. (recently added, watched,... etc)

3-Several HTPCs will be accessing the Meta Data will it be faster on My Movies vs Media Browser?

Thanks in advance for the help

I've used both, as well as TV Meta Data Finder, and others. I'll say this: If you are already using My Movies, the addition of TV meta data makes it the clear winner in my book. It works extremely well, is very accurate - the most accurate I've used for movies and now TV - and the WHS implementation and backup has worked very well for me.

My Movies and Media Browser don't really work "with" each other as they both do sort of the same thing. Media Browser has in my opinion a cleaner and more configurable GUI but My Movies has much better meta data management. I've been a Media Browser fan, have donated to them, but I've been using My Movies front end in WMC recently and really like it too. I think Media Browser can use the meta data from My Movies, but I've always used it with Media Browser's meta data. You can sort and/or annotate recently added and watched videos with My Movies as well as Media Browser.

I find My Movies to be as fast or faster IF the connection to the My Movies server is fast (assuming you are using the My Movies in server/client fashion.) I have My Movies for WHS and the v4 client on my PCs. The latest update to Media Browser supposedly sped up the meta displays with the service running continuously but to me it is still a little slow when you get to 300+ videos. Presumably multiple HTPCs accessing a WHS database via My Movies would be slower than accessing the local files using Media Browser but I've used four at a time and still found My Movies to be as fast or faster.

One last point - My Movies allows for the server database to be backed up, and of course all your HTPCs get their data from it so you don't have to update the meta data on each HTPC individually.

P.S. Kuwait - local or military?

Edited by timekills
  • Like 1

Wow thanks for the heads up!!!!

dude you really went all out on the meta data stuff, I'm impressed and my hat is off to you sir!

I guess I'm going to give My Movies a try!

I'm a local by the way