RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hyper V versus S2008R2 with Virtualization

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I installed S2008R2 with Virtualization to enable VM's for WHS 2011, testing, and MC for extenders. Within S2008, the Best Practices Analyzer indicates I should use Hyper V instead of S2008R2 with Virtualization. It also tells me to avoid using snapshots and dynamica VHD's.

I am curious which method you are using and why? I used S2008R2 so I would have the direct interface and an OS for being able to always have acces to the hardware.

I would love to hear your answers.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Citezein

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• Sorta Oldguy

Guest no-control

Hyper-V role should be installed. What you're using is a leftover from 08 before R2. you can have direct access to the hardware by using RDP. If you want direct access to your VMs just install the RSAT on your client. Snapshots are not backups they are for test config settings. basically like a restore point. Dynamic Disks require an admin to watch them to make sure they don't grow too big. Not using them is standard Microsoft SA BMPs but since this is a home network its much lees of an issue.

I use Hyper-V, RSAT, RDP & IIS for accessing the server and VMs. I use dyn disk for a ll O/S volumes and pass through for data drives.

Hyper-V role should be installed. What you're using is a leftover from 08 before R2. you can have direct access to the hardware by using RDP. If you want direct access to your VMs just install the RSAT on your client. Snapshots are not backups they are for test config settings. basically like a restore point. Dynamic Disks require an admin to watch them to make sure they don't grow too big. Not using them is standard Microsoft SA BMPs but since this is a home network its much lees of an issue.

I use Hyper-V, RSAT, RDP & IIS for accessing the server and VMs. I use dyn disk for a ll O/S volumes and pass through for data drives.

So why did you use Hyper V instead of S2008R2? That is what I am most curious about.

Hyper-V is two things: 1) A role that can be enabled in Server 2008 R2, and 2) The free "Hyper-V Server" that is a bare-metal Hypervisor from Microsoft.

The role gives you the same functionality while running in a convenient standard 2008 Windows environment. The free Hyper-V Server is a standalone server that requires the command-line to administer and doesn't do anything else.

For ease of use, especially without a domain controller, use the full 2008 R2 install with the Hyper-V role. I'm using the free server and it works great, but requires running some scripts to configure if you're not using a domain.

Guest no-control

So why did you use Hyper V instead of S2008R2? That is what I am most curious about.

I AM using WS2K8R2 WITH the Hyper-V role running my VMs. I'm using Hyper-V because it sits ontop of the server driver stack and therefore will run on just about any hardware and all MS software without issue.

I AM using WS2K8R2 WITH the Hyper-V role running my VMs. I'm using Hyper-V because it sits ontop of the server driver stack and therefore will run on just about any hardware and all MS software without issue.

Okay, so our reasoning is similar. I like the idea of just Hyper V but I am not ready for that yet. Even if S2008R2 keeps telling me to use it. ;)

I think now, I am more interested in seeing if I can use S2008R2 as a replacemnt for WHS2011?

Guest no-control

Okay, so our reasoning is similar. I like the idea of just Hyper V but I am not ready for that yet. Even if S2008R2 keeps telling me to use it. ;)

I think now, I am more interested in seeing if I can use S2008R2 as a replacemnt for WHS2011?

I'm not telling you to use

Hyper-V Server instead of using 2008R2 I'm saying use the Hyper-V that is inside 2008R2.

WS2008R2 is definitely not a "replacement" for WHS2011, as it can do much much much more. I would suggest you at the very least buy a the MOCA material for server 2008. Just poking around will most likely frustrate you. WHS2011 adds several features not in 2008R2 that make it easy for non sysadmins to use the O/S. They even took out most of the stuff to keep you out of trouble. I can tell you from experiance that Server 2008 is in no way a replacement for WHS.

• 1 month later...

I'm not telling you to use

Hyper-V Server instead of using 2008R2 I'm saying use the Hyper-V that is inside 2008R2.

WS2008R2 is definitely not a "replacement" for WHS2011, as it can do much much much more. I would suggest you at the very least buy a the MOCA material for server 2008. Just poking around will most likely frustrate you. WHS2011 adds several features not in 2008R2 that make it easy for non sysadmins to use the O/S. They even took out most of the stuff to keep you out of trouble. I can tell you from experiance that Server 2008 is in no way a replacement for WHS.

I'm new around here and looking into virtualization, going through the blog posts and now all the forums. Have to admit I'm puzzled by the "MOCA material" reference. Binged it and googled it, but no joy. Would appreciate a link.

Thanks.

I thought doing a snapshot before a major adjustment or software install was a good practice in case you wanted to roll it back. Care to enlighten us on it's proper use? Maybe I have it wrong.

That is specifically what we do with our VM environment at work, prior to any application patch or update we snapshot to quickly roll back. Only once in the last 4 years was I unable to rollback and had to revert the TSM backup.

Now Dave, get back on vacation and not tending the store.

Edited by yodafett