RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 - Security / Antivirus Software

JediTim

Just wondering...I currently am running WHS V1 and do not have any security software installed on the server as this was always the recommendation. Did this change from WHS V1 to WHS 2011.

Are you using anything on your new build...what are you using. Just installed the WHS 2011 on the new hardware and wanted to hear everyones thoughts.

Tim

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• jmwills

• ikon

• thewatergate

For the most part there is no change in philosophy from v1. If you do a search, you will find that some are still trying AV on v2 though. I think several have discovered certain AV's work well.

Just wondering...I currently am running WHS V1 and do not have any security software installed on the server as this was always the recommendation. Did this change from WHS V1 to WHS 2011.

Are you using anything on your new build...what are you using. Just installed the WHS 2011 on the new hardware and wanted to hear everyones thoughts.

Tim

I am still in hot pursuit. Presently using AVG business which works on R2 and seems to be running well on WHS 2011 although they claim it does not work. Had some issues with viewing media on the RC version but everything seems fine on the RTM. They are supposed to be releasing the 2011 version soon.

I have been using Avira Antivir Server on my V1 box for a few months now with professional edition on my PC's. It has been flawless so far, and I like the fact that it supports definition rollouts from the server. Prior to Avira I was using Clamwin free antivirus which I also had no issue with...

I originally purchased Trend Micro Worry-Free Security Standard for my V1 box. It worked really well, was reasonably priced at the time, and helped manage client rollouts to PCs in my home. Even better, it worked for my server OSes that I keep around for work. On the downside, I felt it could still have been a little less expensive, I kept getting e-mails as if I was running a business, and the log files frequently filled up my C partition on my V1 box.

Lately, I've been moving towards Microsoft's free Security Essentials for my client PCs. The software seems less intrusive, and it gets its updates from Microsoft update. For my servers, I've had good luck with installing the Endpoint Protection 2010 client. Unfortunately, though, I tried installing it on my WHS 2011 test box, and it doesn't work.

I want AV on my WHS. I understand the arguement many have that "as long as my clients are protected, my server is protected". To me, that really just translates as, "a hard chocolate shell with a creamy nougat center." I'll be waiting to see what MS offers its Small Business clients running Colorado, and I may buy into that. Otherwise, I will seriously consider renewing my old Trend Micro license.

I originally purchased Trend Micro Worry-Free Security Standard for my V1 box. It worked really well, was reasonably priced at the time, and helped manage client rollouts to PCs in my home. Even better, it worked for my server OSes that I keep around for work. On the downside, I felt it could still have been a little less expensive, I kept getting e-mails as if I was running a business, and the log files frequently filled up my C partition on my V1 box.

Lately, I've been moving towards Microsoft's free Security Essentials for my client PCs. The software seems less intrusive, and it gets its updates from Microsoft update. For my servers, I've had good luck with installing the Endpoint Protection 2010 client. Unfortunately, though, I tried installing it on my WHS 2011 test box, and it doesn't work.

I want AV on my WHS. I understand the arguement many have that "as long as my clients are protected, my server is protected". To me, that really just translates as, "a hard chocolate shell with a creamy nougat center." I'll be waiting to see what MS offers its Small Business clients running Colorado, and I may buy into that. Otherwise, I will seriously consider renewing my old Trend Micro license.

I agree...I am using MSE for all my PC's and would like something on the WHS 2011.

Guest no-control

If your network is small enough and you use reasonable web clicking practices I can see using AV on only the clients working. Since I have 2008R2 I've hardened the server up fairly well the VM's a re a little looser than I prefer some run AV some don't. I've been considering running a second firewall with the servers sitting behind 2 firewalls. I may even go full hog and run a proxy for a bit to see how that works. Maybe even run Forefront or something.

I believe in a layered defense -- much like wearing a seat belt but driving a car with air-bags and vehicle stability control. I've been using McAfee on my WHS V1 sucessfully but for V2 I'd rather try out what MS proposes for SBS Essentials if/when they propose something.

• 3 weeks later...

I am running AVG business edition on both R2 and WHS 2011. They say it is not 100% compatible however I am not seeing any issues with it.