RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

System Restore Help Please

joem

I have a hard disk connected to my WHS via eSata. I want to restore a computer hard disk image on to it for one of the Windows 7 pro computers on my network. When I remote into my WHS and run the client restore wizard in the WHS programs folder I can't get it to work. I I have tried everything I know as far as partitioning. When I create a 100 MB partition without a drive letter on the new disk it creates a 102 MB partition. And then the remaining portion of the 1 terabyte drive is not even available to restore. I am at a loss as how to do this. I don't have any issues when restoring computers without that 100 MB reserved partition when connecting a drive to the WHS. Could someone please provide me with a step by step as to how to do this? I would really appreciate it. In summary I guess I just don't know how to a restore connecting a hard disk to the server and run the client restore within WHS and partition the drive successfully for computers using that 100 MB hidden boot partition.

When I have done a restore from the computer itself with a restore boot disk it works fine. When I go to the partition manager during the restore process it create a 100 MB boot partition without a drive letter and then format the remainder of the disk and assign a C drive letter. All works fine that way. Within Window Home Server trying to do this when I try to create that 100 MB partition it makes it 102 MB. Why I don't know. And I can't assign a C drive letter to the remainder of the disk because the WHS has that drive for itself.

Edited by joem

I don't follow why you are trying to create the 100 partition. If you run the clientrestorewizard.exe on the server and point to a PC backup, if that backup was made from a PC that had a 100 meg partition, then it will show you during the restore process. It will ask you if you want to restore that partition along with the c:

Check out Tim Daleo's Drashna's article http://www.wegotserved.com/2009/11/17/how-to-restore-a-client-computer-without-using-the-client-restore-disk/

Edited by cskenney
corrected article author's name

The only restore listed if for the 100 MB partition it doesn't show me the the C partition to restore from the backup. In the pictures of that link you provided look at the 6th picture down. If I format the drive I only get the option for the 100 MB partition. If I put in a new unformatted drive I don't have any reference to the hard drive at all.

The only restore listed if for the 100 MB partition it doesn't show me the the C partition to restore from the backup. In the pictures of that link you provided look at the 6th picture down. If I format the drive I only get the option for the 100 MB partition. If I put in a new unformatted drive I don't have any reference to the hard drive at all.

Assuming you are hooked to your network, I would go in with an unpartitioned drive. This should allow you to to restore the entire backup. If it does not, check the disk manager and manually create the 100 meg, and the large partition then try again.

If you go into the Console and look at your backups for that machine, you only see the 100 MB partition? Here is an example of what mine looks like on my desktop PC.

Backup%20capture.JPG

You didn't unintentionally exclude the C:\ drive when you configured that machine to back up did you?

in that image, on the left you have the source PC backup and on the right you select the destination, you can point to a blank hard drive and use the option to "Run Disk Manager (advanced)... to delete the partition on the destination drive. If there is more space than the source, then the arrows in the center should turn green and it will create the 2 partitions.

Here is where I am at. I am testing with another hard disk. It was a clone of my OS disk that is imaged on the whs. I attached it to the whs via esata and am running the client restore on it as I type this. The client restore recognized it OK and what should be expected happened perfectly. I will let it finish. But....this disk, because it was a clone already had the 100 MB partition and the C partition on it. So there was no partitioning to perform. When this completes I will try again with an unformatted blank disk and see what happens and report back.

I attached a new blank hard disk to the WHS and partitioned and formatted with the 100 MB for the boot partition and the remainder for the OS. Within the restore process I can select the 100 MB partion to restore but not the remainder of the disk for the OS portion. It just shows a red X for that partition to restore. The only way I can get it to work is if I have an existing OS disk with both partitions on it and overwrite them on the WHS with the client restore. I can also restore the disk on the original computer with the optical restore disc without issue. I would insert an image of what I am trying to describe, but I don't know how to do it. When I click on insert image it just comes up with a Url to go to.