RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Cheap Ethernet Cables?

Lurker

Yesterday I went to the local office supply store looking for some ethernet cables to replace a few that I have that are getting bad, The little clip on the RJ45s have broken off quite a few of mine from normal use. Well I was looking for a length of 14 feet and I could not believe the kind of money they want for a few feet of cord. Their USB prices are also crazy. the lowest price I found in town was $15 for 14 feet of Cat 6. I know this is insane and refuse to buy them at those prices. I did some research online and I found a couple of places with relatively cheap prices. monoprice.com and cable supply.com. I remember from one of the podcast that Tim and the Mikes mentioned a place to get cable supplies. I was just wondering who are some good online retailers that you guys have used.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• JediTim

• Kenworth

I've always ordered mine from pcmicrostore.com. They've got cheap prices and cheap (if not free) shipping to military APO boxes.

They get my money.

The prices at a b&m stores usually will make your wallet cry. I only use them in a pinch. I avoid that pinch by buying from places like you mentioned already; Monoprice or Meritline and even PCMicrostore. I get their newsletters on my junk account and about once a week there is a cheap 14' or 7' cable for $.99 or $1.99 shipped. I stock up on them so I can either use them or give them away (impromptu lan party anyone?). I have never had a problem with a "cheap" network cable either.

Edited by Kenworth

Monoprice for me. Although for network cables, I bought a 200' spool of cat5e and I just crimp them myself now.

Monoprice has great deals. They have really good deals on usb cables for your cell phone as well (handy to charge your phone at work!). Meritline took a little longer then I prefer to ship products to me for my taste.

Meritline took a little longer then I prefer to ship products to me for my taste.

Oh yeah, good call. Don't expect anything from Meritline to come quickly. Straight from China. 2-3 weeks. Doesn't usually bother me because I know it isn't coming soon but the stuff is just so cheap you learn to live with it.

Monoprice for me. Although for network cables, I bought a 200' spool of cat5e and I just crimp them myself now.

I agree...before I finished off my basement I bought a spool of Cat 5e (wish it had been Cat 6e) and ran 2 lines to every room in the house. This has been a perfect solution for me.

I'm with usacomp and jeditim on this one. Buy a spool and make you own cables. Cheaper in the long run plus you get the added benefit of making the cable the exact length you need.

I had a rabbit chew on the wire running between my ISP wireless radio and the grounding lug where the wire enters the house. By having the tools, I cut off the rabbit damage and had my connection restored in about 5 minutes. No waiting for hours for someone to come out on a Saturday and fix it for me.