RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Allway Sync

geek-accountant

Can't remember where I read this, but I thought it was from a forum post by pcdoc who said he uses Allway Sync. In either case, any one have any experience with this product? I have tried it out but now think I am heading back to Synctoy. My problem with Allway has been the HUGE amount of ram it is using, nearly 2gig. I expect that kind of usage from Lightroom or Photoshop, but compared to Synctoy, Allway is using a crazy amount of ram. Am I doing something wrong?

Can't remember where I read this, but I thought it was from a forum post by pcdoc who said he uses Allway Sync. In either case, any one have any experience with this product? I have tried it out but now think I am heading back to Synctoy. My problem with Allway has been the HUGE amount of ram it is using, nearly 2gig. I expect that kind of usage from Lightroom or Photoshop, but compared to Synctoy, Allway is using a crazy amount of ram. Am I doing something wrong?

Yeh, you did hear it from me. I have been using it for years and it works pretty well for me. I only use it periodically for syncing my servers but I used to use the autosync configuration which a bit hard to setup but works well. It is very fast and is very customizable. They all do a similar task so you have to use what you like. I used to use sync toy and switched to Allwaysync and stuck with it. I do not worry to much about the RAM as it is only temporarily as it tends to speed things up. Allwaysync tends to use as much as it can of what is available In the end it does not matter as long you get you data backed up so use the one that best suits your needs.

Thanks. I was using the option where it looked for any change and then sync'd within 10 minutes. This required it to be running all the time. It really is overkill, so for now I am not using it and have gone back to synctoy with a twice a day schedule.

Also, I have gone through my files in the Photo folder and cleaned a BUNCH of stuff up. Before using Lightroom to manage my images, I used a program called iMatch. When I went to Lightroom, I made a copy of everything rather than have it use the same files as iMatch (guess I wasn't sure Lightroom wouldn't mess something up). Therefore, I have a ton of files more than once. Plus, I had a number of projects which will be rarely accessed again, if ever. Since I already have these backed up to unRAID AND on Crashplan, there is no need to keep them on my PC also. This cut my 800,000 files and 1.2+TB down to around 350,000 files and around 500gig.

I think with all the storage I have, I sometimes have gotten lazy with keeping too much junk, sometimes multiple times. :)

Thanks. I was using the option where it looked for any change and then sync'd within 10 minutes. This required it to be running all the time. It really is overkill, so for now I am not using it and have gone back to synctoy with a twice a day schedule.

Also, I have gone through my files in the Photo folder and cleaned a BUNCH of stuff up. Before using Lightroom to manage my images, I used a program called iMatch. When I went to Lightroom, I made a copy of everything rather than have it use the same files as iMatch (guess I wasn't sure Lightroom wouldn't mess something up). Therefore, I have a ton of files more than once. Plus, I had a number of projects which will be rarely accessed again, if ever. Since I already have these backed up to unRAID AND on Crashplan, there is no need to keep them on my PC also. This cut my 800,000 files and 1.2+TB down to around 350,000 files and around 500gig.

I think with all the storage I have, I sometimes have gotten lazy with keeping too much junk, sometimes multiple times. :)

Yeh, I think we all do. Good luck and thanks for the update.

I am looking for a program to sync my Feeds folder for IE across three different computers. I used to do it with mesh and it worked great but when they upgraded to Live Mesh I lost the capability because they don't allow you to synch hidden folders/files in this version. It needs to be able to sync across different networks without an ftp site (as I don't have one).

After that I tried synctoy but it didn't work. I don't think it could do real time synching. Do you know if this program, or another, allowsy real time synching?

Another option may be Puresync 3.0 which I just discovered. Anyone ever us it? I looked a this real quick but it is for synching across pc's on the same network unless you have an ftp site.