RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Upgrade client OS... getting "stuff" from old backups...

BigSpenderNOT

OK, Home Server gurus... great job on the CES coverage by the way... LOVED the discussion, Dave, when you were hanging out with all the Media Center/Home Server "celebs," everyone seemed to be having a great time which really came through in that section of the Podcast! Put me down for the uncensored version of the car-ride convo. :-)

What I want to do is upgrade one of my clients (that is backed up on the WHS Frankenbuild) from Vista to Win 7 and I want to do a clean install. Now, should I move everything that I want to keep (file-wise) from the Vista machine (pre new install) over to the Shared folder on the WHS before I do it OR will I be able to grab the stuff I want from the backups of the Vista model after I have installed Win 7 and connected back up to my WHS? Does this make sense? I would assume someone has done an upgrade like this... what did you do? Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

BigSpenderNOT

Actually, I did this for my Sons' PC. He had all sorts of trash on his Vista ASUS laptop and wanted to install a fresh copy of Win7. So we install Win7 as a fresh install and then installed the WHS client, got to the backup by selecting the last full backup which we had done moments before (Manual Backup) and it showed up as a Z drive. From that Z-drive I was able to bring back to his PC all of his music, games, documents, school work etc..

The easiest "EVER" way for me to have upgraded with a Fresh restart. He was able to bring back all of the directories, files he had wanted.

The only thing he had to do was reinstall some of his games and such, but once that was done, he was able to move over all of his configuration files etc..

It was as easy as one can make it...

Hope this helps,

TheGuy

I'd say copy the data you 100% sure want to restore to a network share first. That's easier to deal with then mounting a backup, IMHO.

Thanks for the thoughts guys, I think I will copy over the files I want to keep to the Share (it shouldn't be too much since all of our media in the house is shared from the WHS... nothing exclusively on any clients except for the Media Center PC's recorded television), do a manual backup to the WHS, then install Win 7, and finally grab the files I want from the backup (thus, testing out how that works with the added security of it being available on the Share also). Sweet... looking forward to finally being able to mess around with Win 7!

Side note: I have Win 7 on my brand new homebuild Media Center PC, but that's not really a copy to play around with, you know? Media Center just seems to "work," so why fiddle around too much. I was using Beyond TV on my last HTPC, but that is a dying program. Very happy, so far, on the switch to Media Center!

I have done more that a dozen in last several months and each time I did what usacomp2k3 sugested. Just copy the stuff you want to keep including and exports, contacts, favorites, etc. Do your fresh install and copy the stuff back where you want it. If you miss something you can always go get it.

Good Luck with your new HTPC. I am hooked on them as well as they make a perfect match with WHS. I run two of them and pull content from two servers an it works flawless.

I think if you have the luxury of knowing when you are going to do the upgrade, then moving all the files to a shared folder is probably the easiest thing to do. And if you happen to forget a file, you can then mount your backup from the server and grab those files.

In another scenario:
If a system became suddenly hosed or got stricken by a virus. I think I would just do a fresh install of the new OS, then mount the last backup image from the server and get your files from there. That way you don't risk the chance of backing up an infected file.

I have tried this before and it makes sense only if you have a very very clean system. It certainly works well with data, favorites and other settings but it get a bit squirely on registry settings. It maybe a faster way to it, but in my opinion is not the best way. I would prefer to control how, what, and where things go and decide what applications get put back in. If you try it, let us know and maybe you will habe better results than I did. Good luck.