RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Fix For Wd**ea*s Green Drives Intellipark Found?

Mr_Smartepants

Thanks for the info! I was able to do all of the steps in the guide but still the process wouldn't work. I then thought to try it on a different PC and it all worked fine, so now I am going to attempt my first RAID5! Thanks also to pcdoc - the RAID setup is for my WHS2011 so I have removed all of the jumpers I had in place.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• timekills

• Captain Reynolds

• Mr_Smartepants

Another question if I may, as this is my first RAID5 setup...

I am using the onboard controller from an ASUS P5K WS (already have two 500GB drives in a mirror for OS)

I went into the raid interface in BIOS and created a raid 5 volume with the three 2TB EARS drives. This worked fine and when I restarted and went to disk management I had an unformatted disk. At first I formatted with MBR, but of course it then split the partition with the 2TB limit. I chose convert to GPT and then it showed one large disk at around 3.7TB. I then chose format as NTFS and it has been showing as formatting for around an hour now. Have I done this right so far, or am I way off? Normally when I format a drive it shows the current percentage completed, but this just says formatting... Should I have loaded some intel storage drivers first perhaps? Thanks!

I have not altered any drives in my 4 arrrays. I have a total of 16 drives spread across 4 arrays with zero problems and have not altered them in anyway. In 2011 do not use the jumper or alignment program as there is native support.

Good to know, I have 4 EARS drives that I was planning to use the Wdidle3 tool on. I'm guessing you set sector size to 4K?

Just to keep the thread updated...

I just got back from a week-long trip and three of my EARS drives have been racking up CRC errors. I only ran the WDIDLE3 tool on one of them, the others are defaults.

I've shut the server down, pulled ALL the drives, blasted the backplane with compressed air, and reseated all the cables (CRC errors can be caused by bad cables).

The highest CRC fail count is 1190 on one drive, the others are in the hundreds.

With this, and the above sector error, I'm not feeling very confident about these EARS drives.

Just to keep the thread updated...

I just got back from a week-long trip and three of my EARS drives have been racking up CRC errors. I only ran the WDIDLE3 tool on one of them, the others are defaults.

I've shut the server down, pulled ALL the drives, blasted the backplane with compressed air, and reseated all the cables (CRC errors can be caused by bad cables).

The highest CRC fail count is 1190 on one drive, the others are in the hundreds.

With this, and the above sector error, I'm not feeling very confident about these EARS drives.

I think there may be some confusion. For the EARS drive to work correctly on V1, you have to use the jumper and you can not use them for the OS. The aliglnment program accomplishes the same thing so you should use the jumpers so that later the drives can be ported to 2011. Please confirm that you are using jumpers on the EARS drives.

Yes, I jumpered all my EARS drives and none of them are the OS drive. Sorry for not making that clear earlier.

I do need to mention that the CRC error count has not increased since reseating all the drives. I'll keep an eye on it.

How do I clear the errors from the console? I have them "ignored" already but I'd like to clear them.