RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Fix For Wd**ea*s Green Drives Intellipark Found?

Mr_Smartepants

I've got it currently connected to my PC running WD-DLG extended tests on it. It's reporting the SMART data is OK, So I'm wondering if the StableBit Scanner is being overly cautious?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• timekills

• Captain Reynolds

• Mr_Smartepants

I've got it currently connected to my PC running WD-DLG extended tests on it. It's reporting the SMART data is OK, So I'm wondering if the StableBit Scanner is being overly cautious?

I'd have to see what the SMART report is, but as I stated above the error was on the current pending sector count. That count does *not* mean the sectors are bad. It just means there was an error upon a single read and it will be decided "upon further review'" What that means to you is the why you are getting high initial read errors, and if they went away upon another read, what is different. For one, it's a different system so it could be any number of variables; new SATA port, new SATA cable, better SATA cable connection (i.e. not loose), less hard drive vibration...or maybe the head not parking as often. That was why I was interested to see what happened after you ran WDIDLE in the same system.

TO clarify, a high current pending sector count does not mean you have a bad hard drive. It depends on how many of those actually come up as bad sectors, and need the data reallocated. That is why it comes up as an "!" in SMART - because it means there is some reason for the abnormally high initial errors, but not necessarily because the hard drive itself is bad. Or at least, not the platters/sectors.

I turned parking off on my raid drives. I talked all the byob guys and others and decided it wasn't worth the risk. I will pre post My video on Y'all Tube this weekend. But if you want a watch a pro do it, see Timothy D's Video.

Thanks for the explanation timekills!

It finished the "extended test" overnight without errors. I'm doing a surface write of all zeros at the moment to thoroughly scrub it.

Then I'll pop it back in the EX490 to see if a different drive controller has a different effect.

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

Just a quick update. There's been no change to the SMART error reported by the StableBit Scanner.

I've done a complete surface wipe of all zeros, extended tests using the WD utility (which reported no errors), and connected the drive to both the Intel and Silicon Image controllers in the EX490.

Adding the drive to the storage pool or as a backup drive doesn't matter, the error won't go away in the StableBit Scanner.

The odd thing is no other utility is reporting a problem.

I'm ignoring it for now.

I'll try another different drive with the WDIDLE3 utility and see if the problem repeats over the weekend.

Just a quick update. There's been no change to the SMART error reported by the StableBit Scanner.

I've done a complete surface wipe of all zeros, extended tests using the WD utility (which reported no errors), and connected the drive to both the Intel and Silicon Image controllers in the EX490.

Adding the drive to the storage pool or as a backup drive doesn't matter, the error won't go away in the StableBit Scanner.

The odd thing is no other utility is reporting a problem.

I'm ignoring it for now.

I'll try another different drive with the WDIDLE3 utility and see if the problem repeats over the weekend.

You probably have, but please make sure you report this to StableBit Scanner so they can improve their product.

Well actually, I just installed the HomeServerSMART beta and it's reporting the same problem. Hmmm

I think it's just a fluke with the drive itself. I'll be sure once I use the WDIDLE3 utility on another drive. If that comes up with the same error, that'll be more evidence against it.

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping someone can help me out - I have three of the 2TB WDEARS drives. One is being used for storage in my WHS2011, one is in an external esata case (with jumpers) and the other is brand new. I want to set the three of them together in a RAID 5 for the WHS2011. When I follow the steps above to use wdidle3 from a boot disk, I encounter an issue when trying to run the /d command. /r works fine and tells me it is set to 8 seconds, but when I run /d the cursor just blinks. I have left it for over an hour now - I assume something is not right - any ideas? Will it be so bad if I leave them as is and put them in RAID5?

I'm hoping someone can help me out - I have three of the 2TB WDEARS drives. One is being used for storage in my WHS2011, one is in an external esata case (with jumpers) and the other is brand new. I want to set the three of them together in a RAID 5 for the WHS2011. When I follow the steps above to use wdidle3 from a boot disk, I encounter an issue when trying to run the /d command. /r works fine and tells me it is set to 8 seconds, but when I run /d the cursor just blinks. I have left it for over an hour now - I assume something is not right - any ideas? Will it be so bad if I leave them as is and put them in RAID5?

I have not altered any drives in my 4 arrrays. I have a total of 16 drives spread across 4 arrays with zero problems and have not altered them in anyway. In 2011 do not use the jumper or alignment program as there is native support.