RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS disk full & corrupt profile v1 Hardware v3 Software

Bourbon

EDIT: I don't drink but I might.

Hello all,

I’m a lurker and a long time listener to the podcast. I’m looking for some suggestions or best practices to prevent this from happening. I am planning on another reinstall. Perhaps someone had this same issue?

I have the disk full issue with what looks like a corrupt profile that prevents me from logging in via the WHS console. This is now the 2nd time this occurred. Last time I did a backup of all data and reinstalled from scratch.

My plan is to get rid of the WD EADS drive and replace it with another Sammy 2TB HD204UI. I read some people have had problems with the WD Green drives. This may not be the problem but it will rule it out and clear my head.

Thanks for any suggestions.

SPECS:

HP EX470, 2GB ram with 3.0 software update.

System drive WD 1TB EADS

Data Drives Samsung 2TB HD204UI x3

• I can ping the WHS.

• WHS is only for local backups… remote access is disabled.

• Windows updates are set to manual. This happened after the last Tuesday updates.

• WHS console cannot login on a Win7Pro box or Snow Leopard box. (Its the wife’s mac I swear) :)

• I can access shares via \\servername on Win7Pro box.

• All directories on the WHS are set for duplication.

• Log in via remote desktop I can reset the server. This will sometimes get the connector software to work. It’s intermittent.

• Addins are Server Storage, Advances Admin Console & Home Server Smart. - no drive errors reported

• Total of 6.37TB with 4TB free. Approx 70k photo files, personal videos and a few ISO backups.

Screenshots worth a 1000 words.

oZuvr.jpg

SRqfd.jpg

sJQm7.jpg

Ocwlt.jpg

BudlZ.jpg

Edited by Bourbon

WD EADS should works fine, it's the EARS drive that require a WD format alignment tool or put a jumper on pin 7&8. I have not seen the error you are having.

As Diehard stated, there are no problems with EADS drives as they do not use the advanced format which is what causes the problem. It appears that you may have something going on with the system partition. I realize you have allot of extra space on your server but did you look at how much free space is left on the primary drive. The space errors you are getting should not be happening. I would remote in and see how much space is left on the "C" drive. Once you confirm, I would try the following:

1. Verify that you can access the shares without going through the connector. (I know you stated you could)

2. Try uninstalling the connector and re-installing.

3. Create a new user temporarily on your desktop as well as your server and see if you can access it. (guessing you will not be able too.)

My guess it that you have stuff that does not belong on the "C" drive of you server and it has consumed all the space.

Assuming that your "C" drive is OK, remove your add-ins, remove the connector and re-install the connector.

If that does not work, we will have to resort to more drastic measures....

I've read a few post's at mediasmartserver.net where the c: drive gets full because of log files that just grow and grow until they fill the drive, I suggested using Spacemonger on the c: drive to get a visual of what files are so large. Search for spacemonger over at mediasmartserver.net to find me comments.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I’m on the right track now. Also, I’m glad it’s not the WD EADS drive.

Diehard: Yes I just read some of the mediasmartserver.net posts on the log files. Funny the software doesn’t automatically delete the logs.

PCDOC: Sure enough I skipped over the obvious… my SYS drive is full. DOH! See image attached.

Now I need to figure out if its log files, twonky cache or something else. Other than addons, I don’t have any other software installed. I will work on this over the weekend and post my findings.

bbN9S.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I’m on the right track now. Also, I’m glad it’s not the WD EADS drive.

Diehard: Yes I just read some of the mediasmartserver.net posts on the log files. Funny the software doesn’t automatically delete the logs.

PCDOC: Sure enough I skipped over the obvious… my SYS drive is full. DOH! See image attached.

Now I need to figure out if its log files, twonky cache or something else. Other than addons, I don’t have any other software installed. I will work on this over the weekend and post my findings.

bbN9S.jpg

Twonky is notorious for all bad things in life, but looking at your disk cleanup, you have 6gigs of old compressed files. You should be able to loose those and be back in business.

Twonky is notorious for all bad things in life, but looking at your disk cleanup, you have 6gigs of old compressed files. You should be able to loose those and be back in business.

6gigs is the savings associated with compressing "old" files. I would avoid that one. You've either downloaded files to the local C drive, or an app you've installed is consuming all the space. Look for log files associated with Twonky or another app. If you've got MyMovies or some other add-in that installs SQL Server Express, you could also have an enlarged tempdb...

It seems like many of these incidents turn out to be an add-in that is logging information and it eventually fills the drive.

So this ended up being an easy fix once I knew where to look. My box had large files in the C:\WINDOWS\Temp folder. In addition, I cleaned some files in C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\W3SVC1.

Its odd that Windows Home Server with Power Pack 3 doesn’t delete these files automatically. I'm either doing something wrong or this is a bug.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everything is working smooth.

fwtsU.jpg

Back to normal. :D

V85i6.jpg

For future reference a post using CCleaner to clean log files on the system drive from MediaSmartHome.com - http://www.mediasmarthome.com/article/16408/Automatically-Clean-Those-Pesky-Log-Files-on-Your-MediaSmart-Server-s-System-Drive/

Also, for a visual of what is taking up hard drive space Spacemonger/CNet - http://download.cnet.com/SpaceMonger/3000-2248_4-10050288.html

or TreeSize Free - http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/