RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 connector wont connect

NateDawg1148

Hello,

I was getting an unknown error after I was trying to load the connector on my windows 7 64 ultimate machines after .net 4 installed and the password was entered.

I hunted around and located this thread My link and there appears to be a large number of people with this issue.

Anyway, there solution did not work for me. I have addressed other problems in this forum about local dns resolution not working with opendns, which I am using. It would appear that the connector wont connect if you have opendns loaded in your router (im using a dlink 655).

In case anyone else is having troubles, this could be a solution.

I hope this helps someone.

Nate

Hello,

I was getting an unknown error after I was trying to load the connector on my windows 7 64 ultimate machines after .net 4 installed and the password was entered.

I hunted around and located this thread My link and there appears to be a large number of people with this issue.

Anyway, there solution did not work for me. I have addressed other problems in this forum about local dns resolution not working with opendns, which I am using. It would appear that the connector wont connect if you have opendns loaded in your router (im using a dlink 655).

In case anyone else is having troubles, this could be a solution.

I hope this helps someone.

Nate

Something does not sound right. Your clients see your local router as the DNS server and your router sees the outside DNS services. Calling to your internal network should not be affected. Have you tried to go back to defaults to see if this is the problem. On paper this does not make sense.

i just installed windows home server 2011 and i am getting the same error. All my computers show opendns and not my routers. I can see all the files and folders on my network but can not install connector nor can i remote desktop to it

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : mn.warpdriveonline.com

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® WiFi Link 5100 AGN

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-6B-22-9E-9A

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2002:18ec:2cf0:0:cfb:6956:d7f3:e46

ed)

Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2002:18ec:2cf0:0:e9f8:6acb:8181:c0

red)

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::cfb:6956:d7f3:e464%11(Prefer

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.184(Preferred)

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, April 22, 2011 11:04:40 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, April 24, 2011 12:24:56 PM

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::9afc:11ff:fe53:75e4%11

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 184557931

DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-13-D5-73-FF-00-23-8B-7

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.67.222.222

For testing purposes, you can try the WHS toolkit that was built for WHS v1 but will give you some info on WHS2011. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=8C536513-E0BC-4594-86B2-E65C6ED809B6 here is the 64 bit version. Run it in administrator mode to see all the details. add " -a" to the target. that's a "space-a"

I don't have any experience on this WHS2011 issue, but I folks did have simular issues on v1 with openDNS, the fix was to put the server name in a host file that point to the server's ip address. The issue was that when the connector was installing and you had opendns, the connector would look outside onto the internet for a server with the same name and didn't find one. With the host file, your telling the connector that the server is internal.

I hope this helps.

Thanks I still have not actually got the connector software installed as it bombs when i get the password which i know is right and i get the error much that it can not join. I will try the host file today. I turned of opendns and rebooted everything still no luck installing. I have seen a bunch of diffrent links from renaming the server to graphics drivers. I was hoping v2 would have been easier to install than v1 but I guess I was wrong. I will keep posting until i can fix the issue as it may happen to others on this forum. I appreciate all the help.

OK i tried the host file and a bunch of little tweaks but nothing worked. I ran into an forum one person said they renamed there computer and turned off ipv6. I have disabled ipv6 before for diffrent issues. I thought i would give it a try and it worked. The client began install but stopped and said it could not find home server asked to enter a server name or ip address. It would not work with name of the server but it did work with ip address. I am going to turn on ipv6 and see if it stops working but for now i want to get the server configured.

OK i tried the host file and a bunch of little tweaks but nothing worked. I ran into an forum one person said they renamed there computer and turned off ipv6. I have disabled ipv6 before for diffrent issues. I thought i would give it a try and it worked. The client began install but stopped and said it could not find home server asked to enter a server name or ip address. It would not work with name of the server but it did work with ip address. I am going to turn on ipv6 and see if it stops working but for now i want to get the server configured.

I am getting this on a machine as well. Can someone tell me where the connector software is on 2011? You need IPV6 to access it from Explorer.

I am getting this on a machine as well. Can someone tell me where the connector software is on 2011? You need IPV6 to access it from Explorer.

Nevermind, I found it. The file is in: "C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WebApps\Client\Package\en".

I ran it and yes you have to put in the IP address of the server to get it to connect. This is definitley a bug.