RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Finally, its all together! DIY WHS build

CookiePuss

Just remember that gigabit is good for 450GB/hour. Even if you have 4 terabyes, you're talking 8.889 hours, which isn't bad at all.

Just thought I would mention that everytime I have moved large amounts of data from WHS to WHS my speed tends to be slower than WHS to PC so it "may" take a bit longer. Anyone else seen the same phenomenon...

I was on the fence about diy or buying an HP EX495. But after thinking about the cost and flexibility, went with diy. An HP EX495 today still costs over $630.

So for $830, plus Bing cashback of 15% during black friday time, the total amount spent came out to slightly more than an HP EX495. But I did not have to purchase the OS as I'm a Microsoft Technet subscriber.

I love being able to buy a blu-ray, ripping it, putting away the disk into storage and storing the whole movie on the server. This allows me to watch it anywhere in the house. Hoping one day there will be a network based media player that is able to play blu-ray movie files so I can replace my fatty htpc's.

Depending on if you ripped the disk to a file like an mkv, there are plenty of little devices that can play it back, for example the Popcorn Hours.

I extracted the files directly as is with AnyDVD HD. It basically takes out the encryption and lets you store the files. Then using Arcsoft TotalMedia 3, I am able to play by the blu-ray files by loading the folder location. Pretty neat actually as it keeps all the menus and extras.

I watch a lot of foreign movies with subtitles and notice I have issues with mkv and subtitles sometimes.

Subtitles really seem to break down almost anything but the original content. That's why when I get around to ripping, I'm probably not going to do anything beyond the recommended /video_ts folder or ISO.

• 5 weeks later...