RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Direct install from .iso?

Jazman

When you're installing an OS from scratch, burning an ISO to an install disk makes sense. But, what about when you are installing an application that is distributed by ISO (like alot of Technet files for instance). Do you HAVE to burn it to disk? Is there a way to access the contents of the ISO directly? If not, how about a way to mount an ISO as a disk and then go from there? If you need an external app to mount it, what is your favorite?

I KNOW someone has to have looked into this before...

Thanks,

Keith

For OS installs I usually use the Windows 7 USB-DVD Tool, works with pretty much any newer ISO from Microsoft, though a lot of linux ISOs don't work. Otherwise for programs like office I generally just extract the files to a folder using something like 7-zip.

But, what about when you are installing an application that is distributed by ISO (like alot of Technet files for instance). Do you HAVE to burn it to disk? Is there a way to access the contents of the ISO directly? If not, how about a way to mount an ISO as a disk and then go from there? If you need an external app to mount it, what is your favorite?

If it truly is an app and not an OS, than no - you definitely do not have to burn it to disk. You probably don't even have to mount it to a virtual drive. Likely you can just extract the files from the .ISO to a folder and run them from there, or even "open" the ISO using any number of freeware or paid ISO creating/extracting apps (WinRAR, 7Zip, UltraIso, etc.)

If it is an OS, you'll have to have some way to boot the system from it, of course - unless you are doing an upgrade from within the OS, or it is something akin to some of the Linux distros that allow you to install them from inside Windows (Wubi from Ubuntu comes to mind.)

My favorite virtual drive (mounter) is probably MagicDisc (from the makers of MagicISO - a good ISO creation/modifiying tool).

Edited by timekills