RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

DNS problems

NateDawg1148

In my home network, I have recently added opendns to my router, which I have to say is terrific so far.

The problem with it though, is that I have lost my internal DNS names on my network. As such, I am unable to RDP in to my machines using the name only. I now have to RDP via ip address.

This is a frustrating issue. I have done a few hours of research and learned that there are issues with local DNS with using opendns. There is a work around if you have an active domain, which i do not. (actually, I dont even really know what that is) where you add your domain list to the exceptions. I tried this with the local computer names but it didnt work.

I'm looking for some help from our experts here.

The machines are WHS 2011 and 2 windows 7 ultimate.

Thanks for any help

Nate

Edited by NateDawg1148

Guest no-control

A few items to try

• Set your alternate DNS domain to whatever you were using before.
  • Set you primary DNS to 8.8.8.8(google's DNS) and see if that fixes the issue
  • You don't have an active domain so that info is of no help to you.
  • If you're comfortable with the command line you can try: ipconfig /registerdns

A few items to try

• Set your alternate DNS domain to whatever you were using before.
  • Set you primary DNS to 8.8.8.8(google's DNS) and see if that fixes the issue
  • You don't have an active domain so that info is of no help to you.
  • If you're comfortable with the command line you can try: ipconfig /registerdns

Changing it to 8.8.8.8 worked. I wonder why opendns is like that. Opendns has also affected the WHS 2011 connector software from installing. I started another thread about that. I will email them and figure out what the issue is and report back.

Edited by NateDawg1148

Changing it to 8.8.8.8 worked. I wonder why opendns is like that. Opendns has also affected the WHS 2011 connector software from installing. I started another thread about that. I will email them and figure out what the issue is and report back.

OpenDNS works well for about 95% of the sites I use. Unfortunately it doesn't work at all for military sites and, as you've noticed, craps out on others as well. I stopped using them and went to Google's DNS servers (as no-control mentioned above.) I'd only add to use 8.8.4.4 as your secondary DNS server (Google's other public DNS server.)

P.S. The same guy who wrote SpinRite makes a fancy little (free) DNS speed tester that you can run and use the fastest DNS servers from your location. Or you can stick with Google and assume they will be less likely to redirect you to a malicious site than any "normal" DNS server. I tend to trust their DNS servers more, and the benefit thath they are fast as well as safe is why I use them.

Edited by timekills