RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Episode 132 with DataCore

Dave

Greaat show guys. I must admit this sounds like an interesting product based on some logic. I am not sure it is that much easier than a card but depending on pricing and performance it may be a great option. I definetly will test it when the beta is out and will compare performance results as the test server I will be using has identical hardare to my 2011 server. Great interview that was well worthwhile with what "appears" to be some good backing and creditials.

For comparison, my key interests are:

1. Price - Low cost hardware card vs the addin

2. Performance - How does it compare with hardware RAID and even if is slower, is it fast enough to satisfy the needs of an enthusiast or movie enthusiast.

3. Ease of setup and expandibilty vs overall loss of storage. Meaning, this is limited to mirroring or striping vs RAID 5 which is a comprimize of the two.

Overall looking forward to testing the product and hope that they can price it right to make it attractive.

Looks like DataCore has picked up an OEM in Tranquil PC.

http://usingwindowshomeserver.com/2011/04/21/more-information-on-what-are-tranquil-pc-doing-with-windows-home-server-2011/

or have they? I was thinking an OEM would bundle the product and have it ready to roll but it looks like they are doing a "coupon" method. What do you think? Is that what you think an OEM is defined as? I guess coupon or not it's at least exposure for DataCore.

I'm assuming that Tranquil is issuing a coupon so as not to discourage future Tranquil customers from waiting until the DataCore addin comes preinstalled. They can purchase the server now and get the free addin later. B)

I was more excited before the podcast. I do not want DE technology on mirror or stripe. Mirror uses way too many drives and striping is too risky. That provides no advantage that I can think of.

I was more excited before the podcast. I do not want DE technology on mirror or stripe. Mirror uses way too many drives and striping is too risky. That provides no advantage that I can think of.

The fact that they write instantly and not by balancing is a big plus. I still think a RAID 5 is more efficient but this things still does have some potential is done and priced right.

Seems like this is just a software RAID implementation. Other than ease use for the layman, this addin provides no benefit to enthusiasts. We can already Stripe and/or Mirror at the OS level and I think that most of use would prefer a hardware RAID anyways.

The fact that they write instantly and not by balancing is a big plus. I still think a RAID 5 is more efficient but this things still does have some potential is done and priced right.

I agree there is still some value, but they took a lot away with only Raid 0 or 1. I agree Raid 5 would be best. I will just have to keep watching it.

I found the podcast fascinating and informative. Did they mention anything about doing folder duplication vs a complete mirror type setup? Maybe it's just obvious but I missed it, but I'm looking to duplicate my pictures, music, docs but NOT my videos folder (as that would require too much space and is unneeded). So I understood they allow a drive pool or a raid mirror. With the drive pool can you duplicate some data but not others? I'm just curious, I still have zero desire to upgrade my WHS v1 to v2 anytime soon as it's beyond my abilities and I'm pleased as punch with my current setup. So my question is just to further my pointless knowledge database.

Edited by jeffla