RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Mirrored Virtualized Disks do not exist in Host

edamiga1

I am not sure if others have seen this, but my mirrored disks do NOT show up in the host OS disk manager. It is very strange, but below is what I did and I am trying to understand if I did something wrong.

I have almost a dozen disks on my hyperv server and with the removal of DE I moved to mirroring. I basically took the disks offline and added them to my WHS 2011 guest os. From within the guest OS of WHS2011, I created a mirror of two of my disks. They now do not show up in the host OS as offline or not. There are basically 4 disks that create two seperate mirrors, one 1.5 and one 1.0 GB in size. I am concerned that I might have done something wrong, but not sure. The disks do show up in the list of disks I can assign to my guest OS and everything is working fine, but just concerned that nothing shows up in the host drive manager.

Has anyone else done this on hyperv and do they see the same issue.

Guest no-control

Once you pull the disks offline the Host OS no longer manages the disks. So no it would report anything other than there is a disk physically present. all of the management will occur in the VM . So if they are shown as a mirror in WHS2011 your good to go. Of course the easy way to test this is to yank out a drive and see what happens. If the data is still accessible via a client then you know the mirror is working.

The problem is that the disk doesn't even show up on the host, like all of my other hard drives do. Basically once I created the mirror they disappeared from the disk management host. I would have thought that they would have still shown up as offline and passthrough, but they do NOT.

I am not brave enought to actually pull the disk, but I guess I will need to do this. What is the best way to do this. Shut the machine down, disconnect the drive and then power on. I would assume the host would power up successfully, it is just the vm that would complain. How do you get it back? Just plug it back in or should I power off first.

After a reboot they are now showing up again in the host, they are just showing blank partitions. Not sure what went on with this.

So back to the other question? If I want to test that this fails over ok. What is the safest way to test.

Guest no-control

If its a hot swap just pull the drive. If it isn't just pull the sata cable. No need to power it down, but you can if you want. In the future this is something you should test on a test rig so you know the procedure and then repeat on a production server before you commit all of your data to the mirrors.

I understand how to do it physically, more curious on what to expect when this happens.

This is a virtual machine, so all I need to do is to just remove the drive from the list of drives in the VM. This is how I take drives on and off line for my offsite backup.

I am curious as to how the system will respond. These are RAID 1 so I would expect that everything still just works, but I get some type of alert. I know on my RAID 5 Array card I would actually get an audible beep.

Once I do this, what is the best way to bring it back? Can you just plug it back in and the drive will autosycn, or does it have to start over and add the mirror again.

I have a mirror on my main drive for the hypberv server that is raid 0 and it has the os and the vm images on it. I accidentally ejected one disk and paniced and put it right back in. All sorts of issues happened and after a day, I had to reformat and start all over. It was painfull..... should this have happened?

Guest no-control

To simulate an actual catastrophic drive failure physically pulling the drive works best.

Yes your system should still work as usual with the broken mirror. and yes you will be notified that there a missing/failed drive.

No you should format the pulled drive and rebuild the mirror

I have a mirror on my main drive for the hypberv server that is raid 0 and it has the os and the vm images on it. I accidentally ejected one disk and paniced and put it right back in. All sorts of issues happened and after a day, I had to reformat and start all over. It was painfull..... should this have happened?

This makes no sense to me. If you have a mirror on your main drive you have a RAID1 if you have a RAID0 you have a stripe. If you break a RAID0 there is a high probability your array will become FUBAR.

I meant to say RAID 1, not 0. My fault and agree everything would have died.

So with RAID 1 if you have a drive failure or glitch, lets say you bump the power cable. Your only option is to format it and then let it rebuild. Is the OS raid smart enough to do this when it sees the drive reconnect or do you have to make sure to do this manually.

Thanks for the help.