RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Question about Raid Setup

Roy

I have recently installed Home Server 2011 and i am wanting to configure it and set up a raid array. Now i have read how to set up the software raid and that seems pretty straight forward but my question is say i wanted to install a raid card and do a hardware raid. Is it a matter of just shutting down the server and installing the card and then powering the server back up with the attached hard drives ? Will i have to install any special drivers after it restarts or will Win Home Server 2011 just see the card and the attached hard drives and allow me to set up the raid array ? This will be the first time i have ever played with raid and i know that i would like to go the hardware route because i like how it can rebuild the array much faster if a drive fails or needs to be replaced. I have not been able to find a tutorial on how to set up a hardware raid using just a raid card and hard drives. Thanks... Roy

You will get better explanations from others but here's mine.

No, since you want a hardware RAID, 1st you install the hardware into your computer, then tell the BIOS that by setting RAID in the BIOS then give it the drivers for the RAID card so that it knows how to use the hardware, then usually a reboot and then hit some key to get back into the BIOS to a RAID setup screen where you decide the RAID configuration.

Then you will install WHS2011 normally while this RAID setup will handle your data behind the scene. This is considered a hardware RAID and is faster than if you used an existing motherboard RAID and OS configuration which is much slower since the RAID card is organizing everything instead of the motherboard chipset.

You will get better explanations from others but here's mine.

No, since you want a hardware RAID, 1st you install the hardware into your computer, then tell the BIOS that by setting RAID in the BIOS then give it the drivers for the RAID card so that it knows how to use the hardware, then usually a reboot and then hit some key to get back into the BIOS to a RAID setup screen where you decide the RAID configuration.

Then you will install WHS2011 normally while this RAID setup will handle your data behind the scene. This is considered a hardware RAID and is faster than if you used an existing motherboard RAID and OS configuration which is much slower since the RAID card is organizing everything instead of the motherboard chipset.

This is pretty much correct. YOu can also install the card and go through the steps diehard explains after you have loaded the OS.

I have recently installed Home Server 2011 and i am wanting to configure it and set up a raid array. Now i have read how to set up the software raid and that seems pretty straight forward but my question is say i wanted to install a raid card and do a hardware raid. Is it a matter of just shutting down the server and installing the card and then powering the server back up with the attached hard drives ? Will i have to install any special drivers after it restarts or will Win Home Server 2011 just see the card and the attached hard drives and allow me to set up the raid array ? This will be the first time i have ever played with raid and i know that i would like to go the hardware route because i like how it can rebuild the array much faster if a drive fails or needs to be replaced. I have not been able to find a tutorial on how to set up a hardware raid using just a raid card and hard drives. Thanks... Roy

Almost. All you have to do install the card with the attached drives. Most cards when you boot you will see an option to go into the "cards" bios not your system bios. You can create the array or just let it go into windows. Like any other hardware, you will have to install a driver and once you do it will recognize the card and allow you to manage the array (create, delete, verify etc.). Using a plug in does not require you change your system bios unless you are going to do another array using your motherboard controllers. It is a very easy process that sounds tougher than it is. Actually I find it easier than using the mother route and it is easier to recover. For example, let say that you want to upgrade you mother board. All you have to do is put a new board, restart, and once it detects the card, the entire array is there. This applies to re-installing the system as well. New install, load drivers, array is there and intact. The other benefits are speed. The motherboard solution is "slowwwwww" and rebuilds are "slowwwww". The same size array took 96 hours to build or rebuild using the motherboard, and 6.5 hours (with high priority) on a plug in card.

This is one reason why I got a RAID in a box like the SansDigital TR5UT-BP. OS doesn't have to know anything and there are no drivers.