RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Dashboard not displaying anything

KiwiGlen

I forgot to ask. Did you, or did you not, say that you had tried the Dashboard in a RDP session to the server?

Ya. Since the dashboard takes so long to load, I stay logged in to the server and keep the dashboard open, then just RDP into it to do whatever. That's when I get this error. It's very intermittent though. It was happening the other day when I did my first post on this thread. I rebooted twice and it has been working fine ever since. But, I know at some point something is going to happen and it will occur again.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• KiwiGlen

• The Jason

It would be interesting to see what happens if you close the Dashboard each time you're finished with an RDP session and start it up fresh each time you RDP back in.

It turns out to be not that interesting, at all. Sometimes I do close it by accident or I reboot the server or whatever. Eventually, this error comes back.

But, I'm surprised that nobody (besides KiwiGlen) seems to be getting it. I have generally found WHS2011 to be unstable. It reboots at surprising times, it stops backing up clients for no good reason, and of course this error. I should have reinstalled a year ago, but it "mostly" works, so I never did.

Edited by The Jason

My server has 2 nic ports on the motherboard with one cabled plugged in originally. ( now both are connected and I played with teaming for a while)

I've had this happen to my server when I accidentally swapped the network cable into the other nic port. The clients were talking to the server, but the dashboard would not show any computers etc.

Plugged the network cable back in the correct nic port, then the dashboard worked again.

Make sure you have a fixed ip address for the server, and the address is the same one you used to instal whs2011. I think whs2011 somehow bounds the dashboard to the installed ip address of the server. If the ip changes, or it cannot loop back to the ip address you may get the dashboard disappearing.

It turns out to be not that interesting, at all. Sometimes I do close it by accident or I reboot the server or whatever. Eventually, this error comes back.

Not sure what you mean by 'eventually'. The times that you accidentally do close the Dashboard, does it show your devices the first time you start it up again?

But, I'm surprised that nobody (besides KiwiGlen) seems to be getting it. I have generally found WHS2011 to be unstable. It reboots at surprising times, it stops backing up clients for no good reason, and of course this error. I should have reinstalled a year ago, but it "mostly" works, so I never did.

I think most peoples' experience is the opposite, that WHS2011 is very stable. I run mine 24x7 and it never reboots on its own (at least I don't recall it doing that). About the only times it gets rebooted are after Windows Updates. For me, WHS2011 has been more stable than WHSv1, and I think that's pretty common.

Make sure you have a fixed ip address for the server, and the address is the same one you used to instal whs2011. I think whs2011 somehow bounds the dashboard to the installed ip address of the server. If the ip changes, or it cannot loop back to the ip address you may get the dashboard disappearing.

Not so sure about this. My standard practice is to install the OS, which automatically means it gets a Dynamic IP, and then change it to a static IP after it's all up & running. This has never caused me any Dashboard issues.