RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SettIng up FTP?

dagamer34

Anyone know how to setup FTP on Windows Home Server 2011? I want to have the same shares in the Dashboard available on an FTP for access from iPhone apps and such.

Anyone know how to setup FTP on Windows Home Server 2011? I want to have the same shares in the Dashboard available on an FTP for access from iPhone apps and such.

1. Go to the server manager, right click on "web server (IIS)" and click on "add role". Scroll to the bottom and you will see the FTP server.

1. Go to the server manager, right click on "web server (IIS)" and click on "add role". Scroll to the bottom and you will see the FTP server.

Yeah, I was able to get the FTP server running but had major problems trying to share folders and setting users (IIS is very confusing). I ended up installing FileZilla like I had for WHS v1 and put and end to it.

Yeah, I was able to get the FTP server running but had major problems trying to share folders and setting users (IIS is very confusing). I ended up installing FileZilla like I had for WHS v1 and put and end to it.

That will work.

I believe WHS2011 can do a bit better, and offer encrypted ftp (ftps) too. See if your clients support it too.

Edited by kermi

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also having problems getting the FTP server working.

Any thoughts? surely I'm missing something obvious

I've setup and been able to access from the server console but even then I don't see any files. I get no response from the FTP server from my local network.

I turned off the firewall and still cannot contact the FTP server hence assume its something wrong with my settings

FTP Server bindings: Type=ftp:, Host Name="ServerName", Port = 21, Address = tried either "AllUnassigned" or "IP address" of server

FTP Basic Setting: SiteName=FTP Server, Application Pool = "DefaultAppPool", Path = Destination path name - confirmed via TEST Connection

FTP Authnication: Basic, Enabled, Built In. Domain name left blank

FTP Authorization: All users Read / Write

Firewall state = Off for testing

From client IE = connecting to ftp://serveraddress yields no reply

From FTP client in Win7 command shell OPEN serveraddress yields no reply

Install the web server role with the iis management consoleand ftp server role services:

1. Create a new ftp site

2. Setup the site with the default bindings and choose allowssl if you don’t plan on deploying a certificate

3. Configure user permissions and basic or anonymouspermission. if your server is connectedto your domain you can specify domain users, otherwise they must be local useraccounts

4. Finally you’ll have to configure your server’s firewallrules to allow access. Disregard any existing ftp firewall rules; although theyshould be enabled, they don’t actually allow access. (LAME!) Create new inbound / outbound rules to allowa program through windows firewall and grant access toc:\windows\system32\svchost.exe

I tried this on SBS2011e and it works but WHS might be diffferent.

Edited by no-control

Install the web server role with the iis management consoleand ftp server role services:

1. Create a new ftp site

2. Setup the site with the default bindings and choose allowssl if you don’t plan on deploying a certificate

3. Configure user permissions and basic or anonymouspermission. if your server is connectedto your domain you can specify domain users, otherwise they must be local useraccounts

4. Finally you’ll have to configure your server’s firewallrules to allow access. Disregard any existing ftp firewall rules; although theyshould be enabled, they don’t actually allow access. (LAME!) Create new inbound / outbound rules to allowa program through windows firewall and grant access toc:\windows\system32\svchost.exe

I tried this on SBS2011e and it works but WHS might be diffferent.

Thank you much for your input.

Check on everything other than the firewall. I previously disabled the firewall and still failed. Upon walking thru your checklist, I realized I missed the firewall tabs - I disabled the firewall for when server is connected to a domain - didn't notice the other tabs for when connected to a public/private network. As soon as I turn the firewall off otherwise, I can connect. Thank you so much for the insight.