RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

My new WHS 2011 Build

dagamer34

Boy, it's Bren w rather busy week for me. After getting my stuff on Tuesday and trying a ton of different configurations, I feel I've learned quite a bit about just building a computer in general, as well as lots of other stuff. Here's what I've learned so far.

1) The motherboard is the most improtant part of any server. I can't stress this enough. Turns out that Asus MoBo CD flat out refuses to install drivers in WHS 2011 (or any server OS for that matter) but MSI will happily do so. Similarly, #2...

2) ATI refuses to install drivers for their cards in any server OS. I had an old, low power GPU lying around to use for video input during setup and whenever my network was down, and it works ok, but without drivers, it's not that efficient. And since the GPU isn't that important, I decided to switch to an H67-based motherboard from MSI. (specifically the MSI H67MA-E45). Drivers installed Without a problem and Integrated GPU works great!

Lastly, #3: RAID cards are a b***** to setup, something I'd never wish on my enemies. Once I got my case, I realized I could fit quite a number of drives inside of it and thought to return my SansDigital TR5UT-BP 5 drive bay enclosure. Tere we just too many optioins for the RAID card I used (rocket raid 2680) plus, it caused my systeto fail to boot numerous times. Even the inboard intel raid wasn't much better. I've decided to stick with the "raid in a box" because it's easy to setup and totally separate from my system.

Pictures to follow soon!

Boy, it's Bren w rather busy week for me. After getting my stuff on Tuesday and trying a ton of different configurations, I feel I've learned quite a bit about just building a computer in general, as well as lots of other stuff. Here's what I've learned so far.

1) The motherboard is the most improtant part of any server. I can't stress this enough. Turns out that Asus MoBo CD flat out refuses to install drivers in WHS 2011 (or any server OS for that matter) but MSI will happily do so. Similarly, #2...

2) ATI refuses to install drivers for their cards in any server OS. I had an old, low power GPU lying around to use for video input during setup and whenever my network was down, and it works ok, but without drivers, it's not that efficient. And since the GPU isn't that important, I decided to switch to an H67-based motherboard from MSI. (specifically the MSI H67MA-E45). Drivers installed Without a problem and Integrated GPU works great!

Lastly, #3: RAID cards are a b***** to setup, something I'd never wish on my enemies. Once I got my case, I realized I could fit quite a number of drives inside of it and thought to return my SansDigital TR5UT-BP 5 drive bay enclosure. Tere we just too many optioins for the RAID card I used (rocket raid 2680) plus, it caused my systeto fail to boot numerous times. Even the inboard intel raid wasn't much better. I've decided to stick with the "raid in a box" because it's easy to setup and totally separate from my system.

Pictures to follow soon!

Sorry you had so many issues. I have not seen driver disk not install from any MFG including Asus in 2011 or 2008, possibly you had a bad disk? As for the RAID card, unless you tried to use as a boot drive, it shoud have been fairly painless once you get past looking to hard at all the options and leave the defaults which work fine for 99% of the time. Sorry you could not get to work as you would have been impressed. In anycase, sounds like you got there and we look forward to your pictures. Good luck.

1) The motherboard is the most improtant part of any server. I can't stress this enough. Turns out that Asus MoBo CD flat out refuses to install drivers in WHS 2011 (or any server OS for that matter) but MSI will happily do so.

I had the same problem when I tried to run the asus setup CD, The ASUS setup. exe did not support the OS. But all you have to do is open the the CD in Windows explorer and go to the drivers directory and run the setup programs individually. This is an issue with the ASUS batch setup program not the drivers themselves.

Obviously it is your choice but you will not use 2% of this CPU in a homeserver. Definitely not the 2600K for this application as even the 2400 will just idle. The "K" versions are unlocked which again is not helpful in a WHS and do not support VT-D in the event you want to explore a VM build. I would go for the 2400S or even the I3-2120 for a server application. If you really want to max it out, go with the straight 2500.

Man, sometimes reality slaps you hard in the face and you can't get around it. I tried to stress my 2600K with video transcodes using AirVideo and no matter what I through at it, Windows Task Manager never reported above 65% usage. As such, I've decided to step down to the 2500K and save $100 and instead stick that 2600K into a new gaming rig (I had an epiphany that Macs are horrible gaming machines, shocking, I know!).

Even still, I doubt the CPU will be stressed that much, but $194 w/ tax from MicroCenter is hard to pass up!