RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

eSATA and Port Multiplying Question

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I have an eSATA port on my Dell XPS 420. Is port multiplying controlled by my port/mobo or is it controlled by the device that gets plugged into it? For a home server, can I add 4 or more drives to that port and get the same performance as if it was an internal SATA with one drive?

Guest no-control

Its controlled by the port/mobo. If you have a MSS EX47x or 49x or a DIY build with a port multiplier card then yes you can hook up 4 (maybe more depends on card) and it "should" transfer as fast as an internal SATA. Most esata ports on the mother board are not port multipliers. i.e. they can only run a single drive.

to confuse matters they make enclosures that effectively have a RAID on them allowing multiple disks to use a single non port replicating esata connection. In the same way a stripe of 2x 500gb HDD show up as a single 1TB drive

"to confuse matters they make enclosures that effectively have a RAID on them allowing multiple disks to use a single non port replicating esata connection. In the same way a stripe of 2x 500gb HDD show up as a single 1TB drive"

I guess that would be effective as well (for adding storage space), just not as ideal as the other method. I guess I could always add a controller card. Thanks for the help.

Guest no-control

I'm running both! I have a MSS EX470 w/ a Sans digital TR4M via eSATA (8 drives total) plus I have a rosewill R-2 RAID enclosure (2x 500gb hdd Raid0) additional 1tb via USB, but it has an esata connection as well. I use the RAID enclosure for my shares backup and it goes offsite each month. But it was my original expansion.

What should I expect for transfer rates between two Sata drives. I am only getting around 11 mb/s.

Lets just say that eSATA will be limited by your hard drive speed. The interface won't limit you (for 99% of single drive solutions, excluding 15k enterprise). USB2 is limited to 480mbps theoretically, which is 60MB/sec. In reality it is more like 30 from my experience at least.