RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

install WHS 2011 OS raid1

elad1

I have purchased an Icy Dock MB982SPR-2S ( hard drive converter(2) 2.5 drives in (1) 3.5 bay) for use as a Raid1 OS volume upon which I would like to install WHS 2011 on HP EX487 Meadiasmart box.

1- If I install Icy Dock in the OS position, I cannot reach the hardware raid setup button and reset as specified by Icy Dock for harware raid setup.

A- Should I install OS then try to implement an Icy Dock software raid install? Everything tells me this will not work!

B- Should I do an Icy Dock hardware raid1 setup via connection to another OS using a usb connection to external drive dock?

C- Any suggestions?

I have purchased an Icy Dock MB982SPR-2S ( hard drive converter(2) 2.5 drives in (1) 3.5 bay) for use as a Raid1 OS volume upon which I would like to install WHS 2011 on HP EX487 Meadiasmart box.

1- If I install Icy Dock in the OS position, I cannot reach the hardware raid setup button and reset as specified by Icy Dock for harware raid setup.

A- Should I install OS then try to implement an Icy Dock software raid install? Everything tells me this will not work!

B- Should I do an Icy Dock hardware raid1 setup via connection to another OS using a usb connection to external drive dock?

C- Any suggestions?

I posted on another question about this setup that online the answer from reviewers to that very problem was to install the OS and then convert to RAID config you desire using the software. But it should be in RAID1 by default.

Agree with TK. Roland, when he used to be with IcyDock, told me to not worry about the switch and do it all in software. One thing I haven't tried with it is to only install to one drive, label it, and then reboot, insert second drive and build the mirror. That way you have some kind of tracking on what drive is where. I can't recall if the IcyDock software has a drive led flasher or not. To be honest with you I have yet to install it on my production 2011 server. I should do that soon.

C- Any suggestions?

Can you not leave the cage outside the computer to do the reset and then install it after it is finished? That is what I did. In fact, the cage is still hanging outside my computer.

Guest no-control

The MSS have an integrated backplane. So no you cannot. BUT the easy work around would be to use a sata cable and power extension cable plug those into the backplane and then into the Icy unit. This way the Icy unit can sit outside the server. I would just use the software though.

• 4 weeks later...

Was curious whether anyone here has experience w/ the Icy Dock in the event of a failure of one of the drives in a RAID 1 array (w/ the Icy Dock)? I currently have 2 x 250 MB 2.5 in. 5400 RPM drives mirrored in my WHS2011 OS box. However, I've never attempted to pull out either drive to test the fail-over to the working drive. Although I purchased the Icy Dock for the security of knowing this is what will happen, but I haven't been able to bring myself to test it out ;-)

I think we should perhaps open an IcyDock sub forum... seems like every other post is about IcyDock now.

I'm a little congfused as to what is so special about the icydock. I have a 5 bay one I use to fit additional drives in the 5.25 bays but its just a basic tool to me?

I'm a little congfused as to what is so special about the icydock. I have a 5 bay one I use to fit additional drives in the 5.25 bays but its just a basic tool to me?

2-Bay IcyDock gives you RAID without the OS knowing anything about it.

2-Bay IcyDock gives you RAID without the OS knowing anything about it.

Also uses only one SATA port and one drive bay. Very efficent.