RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast 131, What do you think ?

diehard

A two hour podcast? Really? Really? Nahhh, it’s only 1 hour and 54 minutes but you get the picture right? It’s a marathon of news discussion, Add-Ins, and Windows Home Server 2011. We start our look into WHS 2011 before you even get the software. That’s right, planning. Drive planning, size, location, internal, and external. I would like to say we leave no stone unturned but after we wrapped up I thought of all kinds of stuff we missed. Dave freaks out about a peripheral for 2.5″ drives and we also try a new segment called “Off Topic.” It started rough so we will shorten this feature next time. The marathon continues with an out-take at the end! Sorry for the length but enjoy.

I announce on the podcast that we will be doing a live broadcast with DataCore. This broadcast will be Monday April 18th, at 8:00 Central. More info here.

Android app for WHS

AWEICO Drive Info

Remote Launcher

My Movies update to WHS Product

Drive Bender via WGS and UsingWindowsHomeServer.com

Viridian PC Enter the Windows Home Server 2011 Market

Dave freaks out about this card

How-To: Configure Time Machine with Windows Home Server 2011

Windows Home Server 2011 Client Restore Wizard – Video Edition

Off-Topic – Playon.TV

So what do you think ?

John.

I feel like I just rambled on for two hours on this one. I need a better outline next time as I don't think we covered prep as well as I wanted to. Hopefully you guys won't think it's too long. Off topic needs some work.

Sorry I love a longer podcast from y'all. I just wish I can stay up to listen to the live broadcast until the end biggrin.gif

I thought it was fine also Dave. Had to take my oldest to swimming and I went to the gym, so I was glad it was a little long as it allowed me to catch the 2nd half. :D

Yeah, we had stuff to cover, it was long but interesting. If we were trying to unnecessarily extend the podcast with unrelated stuff, then I think people would feel we are wasting there time.

There was a time there when I gave an explaination and asked if Dave understood my meaning, I explained I would not repeat it since listeners can just rewind and/or ask for a clarification here.

Good thing the podcast can be downloaded to a device so you don't have to be tether to your PC and you can always pause it until later. :P

Thanks for enjoying the longer show.

John.

Great show. Lots of content on this one. Nice job to all. This off-topic stuff is an interesting idea.

When Dave started to describe his planning and preparation for setting up WHS 2011 RTM, the fact that he had to "jump back", slow down, and be very deliberate, my initial reaction was- wow, this is soooo not like WHS V1. And he even confirmed that later in the show when he mentioned that none of that would have been necessary if Drive Extender was still in there.

That to me was a very telling first-hand experience with 2011. I can accept pain if there's gain, but I don't see it.

And to Jim's ongoing declaration that the folks who complained about DE being removed from 2011, I say this. I was one of the initial complainers, and I continue to hold the assertion that this is a major loss in 2011. Because of that, I have no interest in 2011 at this juncture. I don't understand Jim's logic that says that I'm obligated to assess the DE replacement products. Microsoft screwed us by removing DE, I don't like it, and somehow now I'm obligated to invest effort in a remedy? Sorry- not buying that logic. Sorry Jim- I enjoy the majority of your work, but not this one.