RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Raid 0 - OS Drive

tbowland

There has been talk but I can't figure out what the verdict is.

Is there a benefit to Raid O the OS drive (for speed)

I know ....just go with a SSD. I did on my wife's new HP laptop but can't afford to on her Work PC.

Plus I have dosens of 250 GB WD drives.

Ted

From a purely speed/performance perspective, I think it is completely worth the cost to upgrade to SSD. I am running two OCZ 120 GB Vertex 2's in Raid 0 and I love it. However I do not like the fact that you have to do special management with indexing, paging files, turning off hibernation, moving your personal files, etc. These are all recommended to extend the life of the SSD. I don't like when you move your personal folders that you loose the security settings. Even though it is in Raid 0, trim is still working. I may put everything back to normal settings and see how negatively it affects the life of the SSD.

In the end, if you don't want to do all the special management, don't do it, but if you are comfortable with that, then definitely do it.

Benchmarks aside, do you see, can you perceive any difference in speed between a single SSD and 2 in RAID 0? I've run both on my desktop and I can't say as I do.

Benchmarks aside, do you see, can you perceive any difference in speed between a single SSD and 2 in RAID 0? I've run both on my desktop and I can't say as I do.

Definitely can tell a difference. It isn't even close. I go from login to desktop completely loaded in about 8 seconds. On one spindle, it was around 20 - 25 seconds and with one SSD it was around 14-16 seconds. These are ballpark as I didn't right the numbers down. The point is, I saw positive improvement.

I have the drives connected to the Sata III Intel chipset using the MB hardware to set up the raid. The raid was set up during the boot process, not within W7.

The original question was whether or not RAID 0 was a positive improvement for HDDs. It sounds like an SSD is out of tbowland's price range.

For physical drives, yes. If you happen to have 2 physical drives of equal size and model, then you can set them up in RAID 0 for a good speed improvement. Just be sure to backup your wife's PC regularly because if one of the drives fails, the whole thing fails.

For SSDs, however, its not so cut and dry. It's not that RAID 0 isn't faster with SSDs, but if you add up the $$$ for the two of them, you might be able to buy a single, larger, SSD that is just as fast. 120GB-160GB is about the minimum size SSD I would consider trying to put into a RAID 0.

Guest no-control

@tbowland

Yes there is a benefit to using RAID 0 in a system (os or otherwise) large reads are quite a bit quicker. Random reads not so much. This is where an SSD shines. A single SSD will be faster than most Raid 0 spindles. Hope that answers your question

@ ITTOG

None of that management is necessary. I've run my drives without all the nonsense and haven't seen any degradation issues. I no longer recommend doing any of that unless you're using a really small drive(30gb).

@ DVN

I don't really notice it unless I'm doing a large read or a lot of random access crap. Boot time was a bit better, but negated by the fact the RAID had to initialize. Game level loading and calling up large CAD files was noticeably better, but none it that was OMG!!1111!!! better

Edited by no-control
  • Like 1

OK thanks guys

Yes we did get a liitle of topic there for a moment, thanks mrossco for bringing it back.

So yes SSD is out in this application and I do have identical HDDs and onboard hardware raid so I think I'll give it a go.

Unfortuanately this is a new i7 & 64 bit build (both new for me....way up scale to what I usually run) so I wont have a none raid experiance with this build to compare to.

Thanks everyone

Ted

@ ITTOG

None of that management is necessary. I've run my drives without all the nonsense and haven't seen any degradation issues. I no longer recommend doing any of that unless you're using a really small drive(30gb).

I wish I knew of this about a week ago. I may have to revert back. Did you allow the desktop to hibernate?

@tbowland

Yes there is a benefit to using RAID 0 in a system (os or otherwise) large reads are quite a bit quicker. Random reads not so much. This is where an SSD shines. A single SSD will be faster than most Raid 0 spindles. Hope that answers your question

@ ITTOG

@ DVN

I don't really notice it unless I'm doing a large read or a lot of random access crap. Boot time was a bit better, but negated by the fact the RAID had to initialize. Game level loading and calling up large CAD files was noticeably better, but none it that was OMG!!1111!!! better

Great info. Rep'd!

Guest no-control

I wish I knew of this about a week ago. I may have to revert back. Did you allow the desktop to hibernate?

No I don't allow my main rig to power down (always on). But my laptop has an SSD in it and I use Hibernate instead of sleep. Loading from SSD to RAM is pretty quick so I didn't see the need to use battery to power RAM in sleep mode.