RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Kill-A-Watt

usacomp2k3

When I get home from work tonight, I'll plug my kill-a-watt (got them as gifts for my groomsmen a couple years ago and had to get one for myself too) into the ex470 and see how it runs. I also have an Athlon x2 that would work as a great home-build server so I'll see about the power usage of that.

Here in Australia, we have a similar product to the "kill-a-Watt", that you refer to ...I think.
About $40AUD from a Electronics/gadget store.

I have a home-built monster from left over semi-retired PC bits....AMD 2.0Ghz, 730ish MB RAM, MB VGA, 160GB Seagate boot drive ....4x400Samsung IDE hanging off a PCI IDE card, 2x1.5TB Samsung hanging of a SATA PCI controller card.

This was reading a peak at start-up of 122wats and a normal run-time of 105-110watts.

I notice the old power supply (original suply with old case) was getting ..extremely hot on the back facia...so pulled it out at put in a slightly better quality.

The new Power supply reads 20-23 watts .....huh??? ...that can't be right .....possibly the new power supply has some sort of power factor correction and this is screwing with the cheap watt meter.

Anybody else experienced this???

cheers
Phillip H.

Ok, so I did the numbers last night:
EX470 with 2gb RAM, 1x500GB, 1x250GB, 1x1.5TB
Peak on boot-up = 125 Watts
Normal usage = 70 Watts
Minimum usage (idle) = 60 Watts

Home Build Media Center with Athlon X2 BE-2350 (I think), 2Gb, AMD 4850, 1x320GB, Hauppauge HVR-1600
Peak on boot-up = 160 Watts
Normal usage = 130 Watts
Minimum usage (idle) = 87 Watts

Not 100% scientific testing as I didn't wait forever for the idling to start, nor does that account for things like the hard drives going to sleep etc. Just as a point of comparison though, I plugged it into my HP 4100 Laser printer, and that thing was pulling upwards of 900W. So it's much more efficient than that.

"kill-a-watts dont handle active pfc too well. does your psu support that?"

Just plug the Server box into a UPS, then plug THAT into the Kill-A-Watt. Works perfect. Readings slightly skewed due to keeping the battery charged, but I suspect not too much. Before I did that, the PC was shutting down randomly. Didn't like being plugged directly into the Kill-A-Watt.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the opposite effect. If I plug my ups into the kill-a-watt it keeps shutting down.
I am curious to know how the sleep mode works on hp mediasmart servers:
BUILT-IN SERVER
SLEEP MODE

I didn't realize Windows Server supported sleep or hibernation. That's weird.
I believe the Lights-out add-in will help you configure the sleep. Unfortunately, I don't think you can turn the server on on an on-demand basis without using a WoL packet. It'd be cool if it could go to "sleep" after 30 minutes of inactivity, but then wake up automatically any time someone tried to access it.

"It'd be cool if it could go to "sleep" after 30 minutes of inactivity, but then wake up automatically any time someone tried to access it."

Yes, exactly. If anyone comes across something that does this, please shout it out.

This should be doable, if we enable sleep and then make sure that the network adapter can wake up the machine.

The only problem would be, if any machine access the network (which happens quite often), it would wake the machine up.

Ill see how this works with mine and report later.

I wonder if you'd have to have an in-line device for the network that you could program to detect a request for a specific IP address/NETBIOS name/MAC address and if so, it would send a magic packet. That'd be cool.

And yes, you are right about the frequency of requests on the network. I think the network discovery built into Vista/Win7 does polling. It would also depending on what you DHCP lease time is.