RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SSD's and the the Windows Performance Index

c0op3r

Have done some timings on boot up with Vertex 3 and was only 1 second faster, however the difference from the Logon screen to when the user launched and available went from 17seconds to 7 seconds.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• Dude

• ikon

• c0op3r

Top Posters In This Topic

I had similar experience with Vertex 2. I guess post and boot to login in unaffected by drive speed?

I installed a vertex 3 60GB drive on the weekend as a win7 OS drive. WPI is 7.9

It's still hard to wrap my head around the idea that the hard drive may no longer be the bottleneck in a system ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I had been waiting patiently to install a low end Raid card the Adaptec 1220SA Raid card, I have recently replaced the Vertex 2 120GB drive with a Vertex 3 for my OS, so thought, why not buy another Vertex 2 120GB drive and put them in RAID 0 to see what sort of performance I get. Well the results are not too good. I have downloaded the latest Adaptec drivers and built the array. The read figures using ATTO disk Benchmark and Crystal Disk Mark are about half the throughput compared to when the drives are unraided !!!. I have flashed the SSD ROM's to the same version, however the older drive (6 months) definitely is coming up a little slower in the benchmarks, so I would expect this could slow down the striping a little as the faster drive waits for the slower drive, but surely not this much. Very disappointing!! Any suggestions?

Here are the results

http://members.iinet.net.au/~paulmcdonald/Raid%20Results.mht

Edited by Dude

It is a SATA2 PCI-E 1x card. You're probably maxing its ability with the Vertex3, let alone two SSDs in RAID0.

Timekill, I've only attached the SATA 2 SSD's to the card, the Vertex 3 I have on a MOBO Sata port and am using it as the OS. The card spec says it supports Sata2 in raid 0 for 2 drives. Its not as sophistacated as the Raid card you are using for your 3 SSD drives. I wanted to see if I could double the throughput of the SSD's for Video rendering.

Timekill, I've only attached the SATA 2 SSD's to the card, the Vertex 3 I have on a MOBO Sata port and am using it as the OS. The card spec says it supports Sata2 in raid 0 for 2 drives. Its not as sophistacated as the Raid card you are using for your 3 SSD drives. I wanted to see if I could double the throughput of the SSD's for Video rendering.

I think what timekills meant was that the cumulative throughput of the two SSD's will exceed a X1 pcie card. Independently they may be sata 2 but in a raid stripe you will still be affected by the throughput of the card. You will need to get at least a X4 card to handle 2 Vertex 2's. Alternatively, if you are in the mood to re-install your OS, you can use the raid BIOS in your motherboard and use that to create your raid stripe. I had done exactly that on both of my systems for awhile and it worked great for the short time I left them that way.

Thanks PCDOC & Timekill, I suspect you are both correct, will have to splash out on a hire end card, probably get the highpoint card and see how that goes, can always recycle when I build my WHS2011 box.

I am a long term listener of you BYOB show and did enjoy the show that Timekill featured on.

Glad to hear it. That show was allot of fun. I was inspired to build VM build. Keep us posted on how you make out.

Latest Update folks, I have taken PCDOCs advice and used the Gigabyte onboard RAID to create a Raid Array of two Vertex 2 SSD 120GB dives striped Raid 0. I'm using this array for HD video rendering, so I'm not concerned about fault tolerance as the files will be backed up on my WHS each night. My vertex 3 is unraided and is being used for the Operating System. The results using ATTO Benchmark are amazing!! Using Crystal mark I got very different results which weren't as outstanding but they were much higher than when the drives were unraided, so overall I'm feeling that the effort (to rebuild my C drive) was worthwhile. I guess time will tell.

I would be interested if some-one could advise me on why the big differences between the two benchmarking tools.

Here are the results

http://members.iinet.net.au/~paulmcdonald/MOBO%20Raid%20benchmarks.mht

On another note, is there a way I can inbed this wep page into the forum rather then using a link