RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SSD's and the the Windows Performance Index

c0op3r

Hoping to get a little bit of help on things here, but first let me say that I am behind on the podcast, so I am sure that some of this has been covered.

My Machine specs as as follows:

HP Elite 7000 with Intel i7 860 Proc

8Gigs Gig RAM (4 x 2gig)

500Gig WD Black (was original OS drive from factory moved to storage drive D:)

Video Card Nvidia 560Ti

I think the MotherBoard is an MSI using a Intel Chipset.

I was running (2) Western Digital 150Gig Velociraptors in RAID 0, and I was getting a Windows Performance Index Disk Data Rating of 6.2, but the drives would do a weird shudder every so often and the machine would come to a crawl for about 30 secs to a minute and the HD LED would be solid while this was going on, VERY IRRITATING to say the least.

I changed out the Velociraptors for a NEW Western Digital 300Gig Velociraptor, thinking that the newer unit with high aerial density might make up the difference and stop the shudder, the shudder stopped, but the WPI number dropped to 5.9, BTW this was about the same as the Seagate Barracuda 250Gig 7200.12 that I had in the PC temporarily while waiting for the 300g Velo's to show up.

OK so now it was time for another experiment to see if maybe it was time to bite the bullet and go SSD! I have a Samsung SSD in one of my Laptops, a 120Gig model, (Its the OEM Dell/Samsung unit from their performance line). I cloned the WD Velo 300Gig to the Samsung and installed it in the PC and ran WPI . . .

Same Damn 5.9 WPI

I was looking at the Intel SSDSA2M160G2HP 160Gig SSD's two of them in a RAID 0 as I would like a little more space then that 128gig Samsung, but if the performance number is going to stay the same what the point?

So am I doing something wrong? My other WPI numbers are 7.6 and 7.8's

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• Dude

• ikon

• c0op3r

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoping to get a little bit of help on things here, but first let me say that I am behind on the podcast, so I am sure that some of this has been covered.

My Machine specs as as follows:

HP Elite 7000 with Intel i7 860 Proc

8Gigs Gig RAM (4 x 2gig)

500Gig WD Black (was original OS drive from factory moved to storage drive D:)

Video Card Nvidia 560Ti

I think the MotherBoard is an MSI using a Intel Chipset.

I was running (2) Western Digital 150Gig Velociraptors in RAID 0, and I was getting a Windows Performance Index Disk Data Rating of 6.2, but the drives would do a weird shudder every so often and the machine would come to a crawl for about 30 secs to a minute and the HD LED would be solid while this was going on, VERY IRRITATING to say the least.

I changed out the Velociraptors for a NEW Western Digital 300Gig Velociraptor, thinking that the newer unit with high aerial density might make up the difference and stop the shudder, the shudder stopped, but the WPI number dropped to 5.9, BTW this was about the same as the Seagate Barracuda 250Gig 7200.12 that I had in the PC temporarily while waiting for the 300g Velo's to show up.

OK so now it was time for another experiment to see if maybe it was time to bite the bullet and go SSD! I have a Samsung SSD in one of my Laptops, a 120Gig model, (Its the OEM Dell/Samsung unit from their performance line). I cloned the WD Velo 300Gig to the Samsung and installed it in the PC and ran WPI . . .

Same Damn 5.9 WPI

I was looking at the Intel SSDSA2M160G2HP 160Gig SSD's two of them in a RAID 0 as I would like a little more space then that 128gig Samsung, but if the performance number is going to stay the same what the point?

So am I doing something wrong? My other WPI numbers are 7.6 and 7.8's

What kind of RAID were you using? Hardware, Software, Firmware

I would not put to much faith in WEI its kind of good to see where bottlenecks in performance are but in my experience you would be better of running a benchmark like HDTach or Crystal Disk Mark.

Guest no-control

WPI Numbers are arbitrary, but at the same time smart. Microsoft updates the number's so todays 6.0 is tomorrow's 5.0. The reason you dropped from the higher number to the lower number after losing the twin 150's for the 300 is because a RAID 0 of 2 150s offers more performance than a single drive. As for the SSD microsoft changes with the times so an OLD small SSD isn't going to register very high. SSD speed can vary wildly. WEI takes the type and speed of the nand, controller, interface, and the firmware. Early SSDs were not much faster than VR's. The first SSDs to really make a difference in performance over VRs were the Indilinx barefoot controller SSDs (original Vertex, Falcon, Torq) Samsung's controllers SSDs are notoriously behind intel and sandforce. I think WEI isn't too far off the mark. To expect 7.8-7.9 from an SSD isn't going to happen either. to get those numbers now would require either RAID 0 sandforce (SF-1x00) SSDs, or possibly 256GB or larger SF-2x00 on a SATAIII bus.

WEI number is relative to current tech not for benching.

My RAID0 G.Skill Falcons used to 7.9. They were down to 7.3 when I split the RAID. I now have a single one in my system and it only rates 5.4 its the lowest number.

Here's my WEI for Project Sabertooth (main rig in sig):

When I was running the RAID Ø, I was using the onboard Intel Raid Controller/configuration with their Drives & Software.

I have run Crystal Disk Mark on each configuration:

Samsung 128Gig SSD Samsung SSD.JPG

Velociraptor 300Gig (single) 300gig velo.JPG

And just as a reference point

Seagate Barracuda 250Gig 7200.12 Seagate 250gig.JPG

I have not tried to do the Western Digital Velociraptors (300Gigs) in RAID Ø again, as I dont want to see that shudder problem re appear.

What would be your feelings on the (2) Intel SSD I mentioned above in RAID Ø using the onboard RAID Function? Or any other suggestions, but the budget needs to stay near the 400 to 450 marker, I can get the (2) 160gig Intel's for 450$

I get about 7.5 on WI from 1 SSD. There are many factors that go into it. First is the controllers. I found a two point difference by changing the controller or changing the driver. Are you running the standard Windows drivers? You might try a different controller/driver. I switched to the MS native driver and all was well. Sometimes it is the otherway around

I get about 7.5 on WI from 1 SSD. There are many factors that go into it. First is the controllers. I found a two point difference by changing the controller or changing the driver. Are you running the standard Windows drivers? You might try a different controller/driver. I switched to the MS native driver and all was well. Sometimes it is the otherway around

I find this interesting, I will look into the driver, but would the driver be for the Chipset or for the SSD?

Seems that you should not need a driver either the data is moving fast or its not.

Wow, thats cheap for 2 of those drives just 1 of them cost me $400 and you can get two for $450. I would definitely go with those. I have heard that Sandforce drives are better for raid but no way you would wanna go that way if you can get two of those Intel drives for half price.

Here is my System, WEI and benchmark for the Intel Drive

System

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5

Intel® Core™ i7 Processor I7-920

Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D Dominator 6 GB 3 x 2 GB DDR3

Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH160G2R5 2.5" 160GB (SSD)

SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 5850 x2 (Crossfire)

COOLER MASTER Storm Scout

i7%20920%20WEI.png

Intel 160GB X25M Benchmark

Intel%20X25M2%20CM3.png

I just wanted to note that I'm using the Intel AHCI Driver on the SSD

I have two 120 GB Vertex 2 SSD's in Raid 0 that have a WEI of 7.9. My numbers are...

It is my desktop in the sig (one with the Asus MB).

Wow, thats cheap for 2 of those drives just 1 of them cost me $400 and you can get two for $450. I would definitely go with those. I have heard that Sandforce drives are better for raid but no way you would wanna go that way if you can get two of those Intel drives for half price.

I just wanted to note that I'm using the Intel AHCI Driver on the SSD

I installed the ACHI Intel Driver and saw a little better performance, but it looks like I am going to go ahead and pull the trigger (or should I say mouse click) on the two Intel SSDSA2M160G2HP and run them in Raid Ø using the onboard Intel Raid Function

Before the ACHI Driver Install:

Samsung%20SSD.JPG

After Installing ACHI Intel Driver:

Samsung%20SSD%202.JPG

But the WPI stayed the same:

WPI.JPG

I have two 120 GB Vertex 2 SSD's in Raid 0 that have a WEI of 7.9. My numbers are...

It is my desktop in the sig (one with the Asus MB).

You can get the 120GB Vertex2's at NewEgg for about $160 shipped right now through 17 APR using their 10% promo code and $30 rebate.