RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Stream Live TV from home to remote location

Mr Bill

I have heard some adds for SlinBox and I am looking for input on a solution like that.

Desire: to be able to watch programming live that is on my local cable while I am at a remote location.

I know that many people are using the HomeRun boxes to local streaming, but would these work for remote streaming?

Thanks for any input and or recommendations that you would have about this.

Mr. Bill

I have heard some adds for SlinBox and I am looking for input on a solution like that.

Desire: to be able to watch programming live that is on my local cable while I am at a remote location.

I know that many people are using the HomeRun boxes to local streaming, but would these work for remote streaming?

Thanks for any input and or recommendations that you would have about this.

Mr. Bill

Have been using the sling box hd since its release and had the model before that so I have had one for well over 7 years. They are great units and work very well. The only real complain is that there is a lag when using remote commands because of the IR blasters but that is not the end of the world. Otherwise it will do what you want. IT will support both live streams as well as your recorded content assuming you have a DVR. Overall that is is but feel to let me know if you have a specific questions and I will be glad to address them.

May not be an issue for Mr. Bill but my upload speeds significantly limit what I can do when trying to stream anything from my home network to the internet.

I have a sling adapter for my dish dvr but like mentioned above, my limiting factor is my upload speed.

If you were (gasp) someone that would consider a mac product, EyeTV by Delgato does just what you're asking: live streaming of OTA and cable TV to iOS devices.

I'm currently reviewing the Vulkano Flow and it's streaming TV nicely to PC's and my Android phone. It's one of those boxes you setup to change the channels on your STB or satellite box. It's not perfect but it works. Review out soon.