RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Any issues or downsides to Dynamic Disks

edamiga1

I was about to implement Mirroring, but wanted to make sure I wasn't creating any problems for myself by converting my disks to dynamic. I want to use all of the built in functionality, so I assume this will not break anything. Does anyone have experience with doing this especially with a VM?

Guest no-control

wait what? you're trying to mirror a VM .vhd "drive"? or you're trying to mirror a drive that has vhd on it?

For regular drives its a non-issue just mirror and you're good the vhd will not be affected. Just convert both to dynamic and add mirror easy as pie.

If you're trying to mirror 2 VHD inside a VM then you need to make sure that both of the vhd files are created as static in size and not dynamic size. Otherwise you open yourself up to data corruption of both drive files. Now once you're inside the VM then it works just like above.

• 2 weeks later...

may i ask what the benefit of mirroring the virtual disks. Is each of the mirrored vhd on separate mechanical drives?

Guest no-control

may i ask what the benefit of mirroring the virtual disks. Is each of the mirrored vhd on separate mechanical drives?

That would be the only way to benefit from a mirror with .vhd. That way if you lose a hard drive and the .vhd with it you still have another copy running on another mechanical drive. This way you can keep the server up an running even though a .vhd is lost. Of course this only works if you mirror the drive the virtual machine sits on as well. Mirroring inside the VM o/s doesn't really help there.

That would be the only way to benefit from a mirror with .vhd. That way if you lose a hard drive and the .vhd with it you still have another copy running on another mechanical drive. This way you can keep the server up an running even though a .vhd is lost. Of course this only works if you mirror the drive the virtual machine sits on as well. Mirroring inside the VM o/s doesn't really help there.

I am new to Virtualization so sorry if this is a Newb question, but you can select what physical HDD to store a VHD on?