RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Maybe I made a big mistake....

brianmullins

OK, So I was at Fry's over the weekend and got to thinking about the 2 300Gb HD's in my server and the 2 500GB HD's that were laying in a drawer. I thought "Why not replace the 2 300's with the 500's and gain a bit of space?" So, knowing that I had a couple of eSATA ports, I bought a single SATA drive dock and headed home. When I got home, I found out that my SATA controller is only 2 channels, so I couldn't use eSATA with the dock. Instead, I used the USB interface. Only problem here is that it is USB 1.x. Now, not thinking very clearly, I went ahead and added the docked drive to my WHS storage pool, and told it to remove one of the 300's. That was on Saturday. Today is Tuesday, and it is still thrashing away moving data. I know it will take a long, long, long time, since it's USB 1.x, but I'm worried. It won't let me open the console back up to see the progress. Anybody know of a way I can see how far it's gotten?

Wow, that is a long time. I'm thinking you should be able to get into the console but ya never know depending on the hardware. Can you remote desktop into it and at least check the Event Viewer for anything funky?

Nothing that jumps out at me. I do see where I've tried to get the console open:

EventType clr20r3, P1 homeserverconsole.exe, P2 6.0.0.0, P3 4acceb5f, P4 whscommon, P5 6.0.0.0, P6 4accead8, P7 334, P8 1b, P9 system.io.ioexception, P10 NIL

It's pretty old hardware, and the 300GB drive was like 95% full, so I'm not surprised it's taking so long. I'd just like some reassurance that it is actually progressing...

USB 1.1 is 11mb/sec (note, megabits. Usb2 jumped that up to 480mbps). That would take 3636 minutes or 2.5 days to transfer at that speed.

USAComp2K3: Thanks for that calculation. I've not had the time to look it up and do it myself. I did state the start time wrong. I actually started this on Sunday morning, so I'd expect it to be done by tomorrow some time.

I hope...

Don't forget that you are going to have to transfer that back now ;-) Is there any way you can throw in a USB2 card? You can probably get a PCI one for $15 at Fry's. That would at least help on the 2nd half of the transfer.

Good calcs AJ. So the consensus is let it finish? I second that.

Maybe it's time for a new WHS! I have a slightly used but well cared for EX470. Maybe i should put that in marketplace.

You haven't sold that thing yet?? LOL!

I was thinking I can just pull the 300 out that I removed and pop the 500 in. Any reason that won't work?

The scenario you describe is a typical way to get bigger drives into WHS. Attach a USB drive, remove the smaller drive, insert the bigger drive. I think you are on the right track except for the whole 1.1 issue.

As for the 470, i sold a 475 and was keeping the 470 for test purposes but i'm not using it so why not sell. It's still a good box.