RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backing up

geek-accountant

So I am already getting close to having a problem. Only 3 of the 4 PC's in the house have been added to the WHS2011 server and I am approaching the 2tb limit. I run WHS as a VM on Hyper-V and have no interest in making this a standalone system with a raid setup. So now I am wondering if I should move back to WHSv1, which I still have running or try out Drive binder to combine two virtual drives. Has anyone tried this yet?

What would be nice is if you could have a Clients Backup folder in each drive and as part of the setup when adding machines to the server is you chose which drive to backup to. Why does every machine have to backup to the same drive, or am I missing something?

Something is odd. I have 5 and my backups are less than 300gig. You may have a ton of local files on these machines making the backup very inefficeint. You might want to switch to centralized storage now that the software can handle it. Just a thought.

That is a good question. I need to look at what the heck the kids have on their computers. I know they take a lot of video with their phones and each have a lot of games loaded, but crap, that would be a LOT of video! In either case, I still think they need to give the option to allow the backups to be assigned to different drives for each PC.

That's why I only backup data and not the OS partition. Build the machine, image it, store the image, and then just backup the data. This practice has worked well for me.

I have 10 machines and my backup is less than 600GB, so I am not sure what your kids have on their machines. On my 2011 box, I only have 3 machiens moved over and the backup is only 48GB. I am also not sure how you are going to get the backup of the clients to work on V1. If you have more than 2TB on V1 you might be able to get it to store in the pool, but you could not backup up to an offsite drive using BDBB, since it is going to have the 2TB limitation.

I really hope they address the 2TB issue, but that will hopefully come with a future service pack.

In regards to not backing up the OS, this is the power of WHS. It does a cluster based backup, so even though I have 10 machines the OS files only exist on the backup disk once and each backup points to the cluster. This is very efficient. The only way you are getting this much for the client backups is that they are storing a lot of data. Go to centralized storage and that should solve the issue. The only other thing is if they have some of the high end games which could have 100s of GB of image files, so you might have to not backup these.

One question I have is it possible to use a 3TB drive to backup to? I know that you cannot backup a 3TB drive, but I would like to use a 3TB drive as the actual backup drive so it can store multiple versions of the 2TB drive.

One other question is there a way to see if a backup is locked. The properties on a backup do not show this, and just wanted to know if there is a way to see this in the list of the backups. I know you can open a specific backup, but V1 allowed you to see all backups.

I have an interesting backup issue, my server backup keeps saying either "incomplete" or "unsuccessful", however when I click on the view details button all appears to be in order. Has anyone else ran into this issue?

error.png

Thanks,

jvk

Edited by jvk

I have an interesting backup issue, my server backup keeps saying either "incomplete" or "unsuccessful", however when I click on the view details button all appears to be in order. Has anyone else ran into this issue?

error.png

Thanks,

jvk

Is this a server or client? I saw this on a client when I had set my server backup and client backup at roughly the same time. FOr some reason they overlapped and it caused a problem.

Well, I guess I shouldn't be so quick to blame the kids. Turns out the problem is ME and I should have figured that out right away.

photo-folder.jpg

No way I would move all these to a server and have Lightroom read them over the network. I do have them backed up to my unRAID server AND to Crashplan, so maybe I should just exclude them from the WHS backup.

Of course that is just one folder. I also have a folder with home movie downloads from the camcorder. Some I could move off my computer, but some I am working with and want to keep on my machine.

That's why I only backup data and not the OS partition. Build the machine, image it, store the image, and then just backup the data. This practice has worked well for me.

That would seem to cause exactly the problem that geek-accountant is having. If you back up only the OS you will get the advantage of non-duplication of OS files. If you backup the data the likelihood is all the PCs you backup would have different, distinct data and would require the same amount of space on the WHS as they do on each PC.

I.E. you could back up 10 PCs with Windows 7 and in theory the total size on your WHS could be only the size of one backup. In reality, it would be considerably smaller still than the sum of all 10 PCs although probably larger than just one.

*break*

Geek-accountant: I'm a bit confused. Why must the VM be only 2TB is size? Can't you create as big a VM as you want, just as if you were using a RAID volume?

Edited by timekills

I don't think so. I think there is a 2tb limit to a VHD size.

I still don't see any reason why WHS can't have a client backup folder on every drive in the server and then when you set up the PC, you chose which drive on the PC goes to which drive in the server.

I am also thinking AGAIN, like I did with WHS v1, that WHS is not the best solution for large amounts of data. If I could only get the write speeds up a little (max I have seen is around 25MB) on my unRAID server, I would rely on the WHS even less.