RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast 130, What do you think ?

diehard

Hi,

Big show for you this time around. Datacore, the company behind a new Drive Extender type Add-In, has released some information about their upcoming beta Add-In and we will go over that info with you. There is a lot of news to go over and we have a new Windows Home Server MVP on the podcast. Congratulations to Jim Collison on achieving MVP status.

Drive Bender Bug Fixes

KeepVault New Release

Acer Released photos and information on the new 2011 WHS

Lights Out

AWIECO Remote Launcher

Video mentioned

How To Install Windows Home Server 2011 on your MediaSmart or DataVault Hardware

MS Money for WHS?

Tranquil

Hi,

Big show for you this time around. Datacore, the company behind a new Drive Extender type Add-In, has released some information about their upcoming beta Add-In and we will go over that info with you. There is a lot of news to go over and we have a new Windows Home Server MVP on the podcast. Congratulations to Jim Collison on achieving MVP status.

Drive Bender Bug Fixes

KeepVault New Release

Acer Released photos and information on the new 2011 WHS

Lights Out

AWIECO Remote Launcher

Video mentioned

How To Install Windows Home Server 2011 on your MediaSmart or DataVault Hardware

MS Money for WHS?

Tranquil

Great show guys. I like the idea of many add-ins being released.

Jim - Have you ever owned or used a Zune? I've had two die on me recently, an 8GB flash and an 80GB HDD version, unfortunately. I say that because I've been forced to use my iPod Touch for podcast playing in my vehicle and IT IS TERRIBLE. I don't even want to know how bad Android podcast management is if you are comparing it to iTunes and iPod management. Holy crapola, Jim. Try the Zune software and hardware (doh - dead man walking) and you'll wonder why Apple can't get it right. Not to mention scrolling through a podcast > 1 hour in length in an iPod Touch/iPhone is a lesson in futility. At least the old iPods could use the touchpad to scroll to where you wanted, not 30 seconds at a time or scrolling right past it like the Touch/iPhone.

And you're a WHS user!!! Want to tell me how you tell iTunes where your podcasts are stored if they are in a different folder than your music? YOU CAN'T. Unless you use third party apps. With Zune software I can store my pocasts in a folder on my WHS and my music in a different folder. Not with iBloat, err Tunes. I've tried Media Monkey, only th 4 beta version works sort of natively with iOS 4+, and it still blows.

I miss my Zunes. I really miss the Zune software.

Other than that egregious comparison, the podcast was great as usual!

(Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play? :) )

Edited by timekills

My 8GB Zune died, but I fortunately stole my wife's old 80gb, replaced the battery and am much happier for it. Also just loaded a bunch more apps on my wife's Zune HD.

+1 for Zune and it's software. I just got my 1st iPhone about a month ago, and I swear I'm about ready to go out and buy a no-contract W7 Phone just because I hate iTunes and its media management.

*I have more iPhone complaints. Ask me. Haha :D

(But seriously, I do.)

I use BeyondPod on my Android phone and think it is great. In fact, ever since getting the phone I have NEVER once used my iPod Touch again. I have BeyondPod set to auto download all my podcast every 3 hours if it has a WiFi connection and to auto delete them after I have listened to the podcast. I don't miss the iPod one bit. Of course I never used the iPod for music anyway and only use Pandora for music on the phone so I may be a bit different than normal. :P

Add my vote for the Zune SW. I don't even own a Zune, and about a year ago I bought a Zune Pass! Even though I am a long time Media Center user and advocate, I much prefer the playback UI of the Zune SW for Music. I have been playing back my large music collection through my HTPC via the Zune SW for a couple years now. The Graphic Rich UI was born to be played on a big screen HDTV.

My podcast playing device of choice is my Windows Phone 7. The podcast aggregation and many customizations built into the Zune SW, make podcast management and playback a thing of beauty. All my podcast that I select for my WP7 sync wirelessly every night when I plug my phone into charge.

When you look at the beautiful UI, the ease of use, the customization, and the fact that it is so light weight, the Zune SW makes I-Tunes look like it was developed by a bunch of Pop Tart eaters in their basement somewhere. JMHO ;)

I use BeyondPod on my Android phone and think it is great. In fact, ever since getting the phone I have NEVER once used my iPod Touch again. I have BeyondPod set to auto download all my podcast every 3 hours if it has a WiFi connection and to auto delete them after I have listened to the podcast. I don't miss the iPod one bit. Of course I never used the iPod for music anyway and only use Pandora for music on the phone so I may be a bit different than normal. :P

I am going to have to give BeyondPod a try...right now I need to carry both my iPod Touch and my Droid X. I also hate that every morning I need to sync my iPod Touch before leaving for to ensure I have everything I want.

I wish Zune had a better rating system for music. That is one thing I like much better in itunes. So much that I won't switch to Zune because of it.

Guest no-control

I've been using DoggCatcher for over a year now and absolutely love it. It does support resume. Totally worth the $7-$8. It will download, queue, auto grab, etc...

Highly recommend

Edited by no-control