RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 and data encryption

kermi

Started from here http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2159-keepvault/page__view__findpost__p__21287

I actually have thought about it.. And atleast the RC of WHS2011 seems to support the Bitlocker role. However, i'm not sure will it work with RAID arrays, or the incoming DE-replacement add-ins.

So, i went on with the testing. It appears that BitLocker does not work with the built-in software RAID of WHS. Sadly i'm unable to test with any sort of external raid controller.

With that failure behind me, i moved on to test it with Drive Bender. So far, it does appear to work. Mostly.

However, since i can't get USB passthrough to work with virtualbox, i can't enable OS drive encryption. Thus i have to manually unlock all my "drives". That causes Drive Bender to throw a fit at boot, when it tries to mount the still-encrypted drives. After unlocking, i have to start the Drive Bender Manager program and select "Restart drive bender", and the drive pool automagicly appears.

Continuing my experimentation with StableBit DrivePool, it also appears to work in the same fashion than DriveBender. After restart, it doesn't create the pool mount because the drives are encrypted, but after unlocking the drives, restarting the two DrivePool services, the share(s) appear in the network.

that'll teach me to click links in post preview.. poof goes the post..

Anyhow, I continued my testing by some googling, and stumbled upon Microsoft documentation that states that BitLocker will work on hardware RAID. What qualifies as hardware RAID in this context is anybodys guess though.

Edited by kermi

Guest no-control

Anyhow, I continued my testing by some googling, and stumbled upon Microsoft documentation that states that BitLocker will work on hardware RAID. What qualifies as hardware RAID in this context is anybodys guess though.

My assumption based on my experience with Microsoft bit-locker is that any RAID that is managed outside of windows. so any onboard or HBA that has a controller for the drive and the RAID is created within a PBE can be encrypted.

My assumption based on my experience with Microsoft bit-locker is that any RAID that is managed outside of windows. so any onboard or HBA that has a controller for the drive and the RAID is created within a PBE can be encrypted.

Most likely so. Dunno what bitlocker does to performance on RAID systems. My test system with drivebender and drivepool was pretty horrible performance-wise, but that could just be caused by my setup as well. Just got a simple virtualbox guest running on my desktop as a host, with 4 virtual disks presented as drives to the guest, all on the same physical disk.