RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New WHS 2011 Build - Parts Ordered

JediTim

Finally pulled the trigger last night on all the parts I need for a new WHS 2011 build. I planned on building from the ground up to ensure I am prepared for the future...my last WHS is now over 3 years old.

Case: Pian Li PC-A70F

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3

CPU: Intel Core i3-550

Memory: 4GB, Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333

OS Drives:

- Icy Dock MB982SPR Raid 1

- 2x WD Scorpio Back 320GB drives for OS

Main Drives for Raid 1 (Photos / Documents / Music and Client Backups)

- 2x WD 2TB Green EARS drives

Video Drives for Raid 5, DVD/BlyRay rips

- HighPoint RocketRAID 2680

- 2x SATA fanout cable, MS01M4S SFF-8087

- 5x WD 2TB Green EARS drives

DVD Drive; LG WH12LS30

I ordered through Newegg (with the link back to the HomeServer website) and should have the parts by the end of the week. I am on vacation next week and will build it then...along with my 9 year old son whom wants to learn.

Any comments on the parts?

Tim

Guest no-control

Personally I think these are a complete waste of money = Icy Dock MB982SPR

But everyone and their mom on here seems to be buying them????

Personally I think these are a complete waste of money = Icy Dock MB982SPR

But everyone and their mom on here seems to be buying them????

It works great for my new VM server. I have ESXi loaded onto it, along with the VM images. Data is on separate drives. This device allows me to have mirroring without ESXi knowing anything about the array for a very low price. Do you not think they are a good value over traditional RAID systems, or is there some other reason you don't like them?

Guest no-control

You could raid the drives on the controller and the HV still wouldn't know about it.At $75 is not a low price, nor is it valuable over just using the RAID you already paid for on the motherboard. I just don't really see the appeal of these things. I get why you might want to use it in a NAS or MSS but for a DIY build? Meh waste of $ IMO

You could raid the drives on the controller and the HV still wouldn't know about it.At $75 is not a low price, nor is it valuable over just using the RAID you already paid for on the motherboard. I just don't really see the appeal of these things. I get why you might want to use it in a NAS or MSS but for a DIY build? Meh waste of $ IMO

No-Control...you are probably right. I could just have easily used the MB RAID controllers for this but I figured it would be easier to get the system started immediately without any need for additional drivers. Not even sure that I totally need RAID 1 for the OS as I could just as easily install the OS software on another drive in the event of the OS drive being damaged. I don't think I would lose any data.

This is my first time using RAID so it should be interesting...using three different RAIDs on my first try. Should be fun :rolleyes:

No-Control...you are probably right. I could just have easily used the MB RAID controllers

In my case I couldn't just use the MB RAID since it's software/firmware based. ESXi doesn't support anything other than full hardware RAID. For me, it was a great way to add redundancy at a low cost.

Finally pulled the trigger last night on all the parts I need for a new WHS 2011 build. I planned on building from the ground up to ensure I am prepared for the future...my last WHS is now over 3 years old.

Case: Pian Li PC-A70F

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3

CPU: Intel Core i3-550

Memory: 4GB, Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333

OS Drives:

- Icy Dock MB982SPR Raid 1

- 2x WD Scorpio Back 320GB drives for OS

Main Drives for Raid 1 (Photos / Documents / Music and Client Backups)

- 2x WD 2TB Green EARS drives

Video Drives for Raid 5, DVD/BlyRay rips

- HighPoint RocketRAID 2680

- 2x SATA fanout cable, MS01M4S SFF-8087

- 5x WD 2TB Green EARS drives

DVD Drive; LG WH12LS30

I ordered through Newegg (with the link back to the HomeServer website) and should have the parts by the end of the week. I am on vacation next week and will build it then...along with my 9 year old son whom wants to learn.

Any comments on the parts?

Tim

Wow, you just built my server... Great choice of parts. I do not necessarily agree with no-control that the icy dock is a waste as it is all about simplification. Personally I have done it both ways and I prefer to use the icydock for the OS. No-control has more experinece at RAIDing OS's but for me I like the the easy way, takes up only one 3.5 inch slot, and only one sata port so it leave room for more expansion. Anyway, great selection of parts overall and I am sure you will be blown away by this setup. Look forward to the pictures... Have fun building.

Wow, you just built my server... Great choice of parts. I do not necessarily agree with no-control that the icy dock is a waste as it is all about simplification. Personally I have done it both ways and I prefer to use the icydock for the OS. No-control has more experinece at RAIDing OS's but for me I like the the easy way, takes up only one 3.5 inch slot, and only one sata port so it leave room for more expansion. Anyway, great selection of parts overall and I am sure you will be blown away by this setup. Look forward to the pictures... Have fun building.

Thanks...I actually looked at your prior builds on your website for ideas.

Both opinions - as usual for the BYOB'ers - seem valid. The question I'd ask is which RAID hardware is easier to replace in the (unlikely, admittedly) event of failure? If the motherboard fails, or the onboard RAID fails, you'll have to replace the motherboard to get the OS functioning again. If the Icy Dock fails, you replace the Icy Dock. I know which I feel is easier.

However, if the mobo fails you'd have to get a new mobo anyway...but if you get a different motherboard than you'd have to rebuild the OS.

Now I've gone and confused myself. :)

Seriously though, if the OS integrity is really essential, I'd think it more viable to replace the Icy Dock system. That said, I'd save the $$$ since rebuilding the WHS2011 OS for me is no big deal if required so I don't see the need to go beyond onboard RAID, if I choose to RAID at all.

Nothing like waffling. I should be a politician.

timekills alluded to it but didn't necesarily come out and say it. If the MB fails and you are using it for you Raid1, good luck getting it running again without rebuilding the Raid and reinstalling the OS. The IcyDock cage would eliminate that issue.

The mine difference here is that pcdoc can see things from both sides rather easily while no-control is his way or go home. Obviously the difference plays pretty well on the podcast but not so much on the forums.