8GB Ram

Asus P8P67 Pro

Areca 1261ML 2GB Raid Controller.

Nvidia GTS450

15x 2TB Hitachi 7200 Drives

2x2tb R0 for O/S

2x2TB Global Hot Spares

9x2Tb R6 for Data/media

Debating using 2x2Tb Raid 1 for backups or Use the OS R1 and create a say 200GB Volume for O/S and 1.8TB Volume for Backups.

I'm kinda worried about anything messing up HD streaming etc. Any opinions?

PS Damn Data Volume is going to take 12 Hours or so to build..

Edited by thobel

I wish you would have used smaller drives for the OS and made it an OS drive only. Other than that, looks like a good build.

I wish you would have used smaller drives for the OS and made it an OS drive only. Other than that, looks like a good build.

Yeah I just wanted all the same size for replacements and also so the spares are good for all.

What do you think about using the extra O/S volume space for Backups? Or should I leave the O/S solo and use 2 drives for Backups only? I Use Orb for Streaming over the Net and HD/BlueRays using WMC7 with Meida Brower Internal. My goal is 0.0000001 stuttering issues even with a backup running.

PS My "old" WHS v1 is also running on a Dell XPS 420 I have to give Dell credit its a beast of a desktop

Edited by thobel

Yeah I just wanted all the same size for replacements and also so the spares are good for all.

What do you think about using the extra O/S volume space for Backups? Or should I leave the O/S solo and use 2 drives for Backups only? I Use Orb for Streaming over the Net and HD/BlueRays using WMC7 with Meida Brower Internal. My goal is 0.0000001 stuttering issues even with a backup running.

PS My "old" WHS v1 is also running on a Dell XPS 420 I have to give Dell credit its a beast of a desktop

You could, but that would put a lot more activity on the OS and increase its chances of failure. You obviously could do it, I just think it increases the risk and I want to minimize the risk on my OS.

Yes I love my XPS 420. Once I get my new server up and it has proven reliable for a month or two (if I can wait that long), I plan to turn it into a HTPC next. This thing has had many lives.

You could, but that would put a lot more activity on the OS and increase its chances of failure. You obviously could do it, I just think it increases the risk and I want to minimize the risk on my OS.

Yes I love my XPS 420. Once I get my new server up and it has proven reliable for a month or two (if I can wait that long), I plan to turn it into a HTPC next. This thing has had many lives.

yeah I was thinking the same thing about the OS.

My Living Room HTPC is a XPS 420 now.. Old XPs 420 Will become bedroom HTPC after migration.

So at first I thought you were using 30 drives. Now I see you have 15 drives and then you identified how you were dividing them up. What case are you stuffing all that hardware into?

So at first I thought you were using 30 drives. Now I see you have 15 drives and then you identified how you were dividing them up. What case are you stuffing all that hardware into?

Lian Li PC-A71F

http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product06.php?pr_index=338&cl_index=1&sc_index=25&ss_index=61&g=spec

With a Icy Dock MB455SPF-B Hot Swap Cage

http://www.icydock.com/product/mb455spf.html

Edited by thobel

Nice case, nice 5-in-3 enclosure. Might just have to get one of the MB455SPF's myself. Did you really mean RAID0 forthee OS? Not sure the extra speed is worth the risk for a WHS OS unless you were using it for a virtual OS host - not to mention the 3.94TB of wasted space...

Nice case, nice 5-in-3 enclosure. Might just have to get one of the MB455SPF's myself. Did you really mean RAID0 forthee OS? Not sure the extra speed is worth the risk for a WHS OS unless you were using it for a virtual OS host - not to mention the 3.94TB of wasted space...

Oops no typo should be raid 1 ;)

Well system is setup

Intel 2600k

8GB Ram

Asus P8P67 Pro

Areca 1261ML 2GB Raid Controller.

Nvidia GTS450

15x 2TB Hitachi 7200 Drives

2x2tb R0 for O/S

2x2TB Global Hot Spares

9x2Tb R6 for Data/media

Debating using 2x2Tb Raid 1 for backups or Use the OS R1 and create a say 200GB Volume for O/S and 1.8TB Volume for Backups.

I'm kinda worried about anything messing up HD streaming etc. Any opinions?

PS Damn Data Volume is going to take 12 Hours or so to build..

The only issue will be in your thougts about backup. Remember you are limited to 2T so you will not be able to backup the array unless you use a third party soltuons. So the 2x2 in a stripe will not work out. BTW, we have got to see pics of this thing. This is a monster build.