RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

why are you investigating RAID for whs 2011?

capall

Hi all,

I am considering getting into whs and with that whs2011, but I am confused over all the hoopla of why you need RAID to back up the server. I was under the impression that you can have the shared folders duplicated onto a second internal drive. For example will this work?

OS on drive 1 and backed up to drive 2 for a full restore

Music shared folder on drive 3 and duplicated to drive 4

Video shared folder on drive 5 and duplicated to drive 6

Documents shared folder on drive 6 and duplicated to drive 7 and also use drive 6 to back up local computers in the house which are also duplicated to drive 7(be it slightly redundant) (or don't have local documents but use drive 6 to store all documents with drive 7 the backup)

Q. Are you using Raid so that you have have the server backup on an external box?

Thanks

derek

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• geek-accountant

• edamiga1

• capall

If you have more than 2 TB of media then you run into problems or decisions to make. Do you spread your media over multiple drives or do you use raid so it will be one drive. MOst of us has chosen to use raid because we don't want disk one to be Movies A - D, disk two to be Movies E - L, etc. The raid will also give you faster read speeds and redundancy utilizing less total disks (ie five 2 TB disks will give you 8 TB of usable storage, whereas the normal rout would require eight 2 TB drives to back up the same space).

So my scenario will work fine for me with shared folders with media <2TB in each?...but if I >2Tb of videos, then I understand that it would be split across drives(which is why DE was useful) using A-C, D-F etc...

Are you then just using external RAID enclosures to create a single very large drive and not have whs2011 installed drives keep the media files?

thanks

Most of us are going with a internal raid card with 3 or 5 drives in raid 5 for Video. Everything else would be mirrored (like pictures, music drives)

So my scenario will work fine for me with shared folders with media <2TB in each?...but if I >2Tb of videos, then I understand that it would be split across drives(which is why DE was useful) using A-C, D-F etc...

Are you then just using external RAID enclosures to create a single very large drive and not have whs2011 installed drives keep the media files?

thanks

Note that A-C, D-F, etc was me just pulling crap from the air. I want to make sure it is understood that every user would be different. Yours may end up being A to S and T to Z.

so you specifically interested in RAID (internal or external) to achieve a single drive >2Tb ? due to the loss of DE to achieve a single drive ......while also giving you other adv as well such as speed etc....

thanks

derek