RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Client Restore Problems WHS 2011

burix

I was having problems restoring a PC this weekend, and have not seen this posted anywhere, so I figured I would put this out here in case it may help someone in the future.

Using the Client Restore CD, I was unable to connect to the home server. I have the correct drivers, and it would successfully see and install drivers, but still could never connect to home server to start restore.

I discovered that I could run the ClientRestoreWizard.exe from the CD on the Homeserver with a drive attached, and was able to successfully restore my drive. The file is located on the cd under 1FAE75EB-B11A-4883-BCEE-9AC1C6D95216\X64\

I wanted to make the CD work, but I also wanted to be able to troubleshoot while the cd was booted, so I made a few changes.

Using the dism (part of the WIAK) I was able to change the default startup and add my drivers to the WinPE image and get a successfull restore.

The drivers I have are 64bit, so I only worked with the 64bit wim. On the CD, I extracted the BOOT.WIM from the sources directory.

Created a temp directory called mount to mount the wim file.

dism /Mount-wim /wimfile:d:\temp\boot.wim /index:1 /MountDir:d:\mount

At this point I was able to add my drivers with the following command.

dism /image:d:\mount /Add-Driver /Driver:d:\drivers\myx64.inf /ForceUnsigned

I modified D:\mount\Windows\System32\winpeshl.ini so instead of launching RestoreCDInit.exe, i just launch cmd.exe. So the line would be

AppPath = %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\cmd.exe

dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:d:\mount /commit

Now copy the WIM file back into the ISO and save it.

When I boot this ISO, it now brings me to a command prompt. I do ipconfig and verify I have an ip address so I know my NIC drivers loaded. I can now type in restorecdinit.exe and launch the restore wizard.

I was having problems restoring a PC this weekend, and have not seen this posted anywhere, so I figured I would put this out here in case it may help someone in the future.

Using the Client Restore CD, I was unable to connect to the home server. I have the correct drivers, and it would successfully see and install drivers, but still could never connect to home server to start restore.

I discovered that I could run the ClientRestoreWizard.exe from the CD on the Homeserver with a drive attached, and was able to successfully restore my drive. The file is located on the cd under 1FAE75EB-B11A-4883-BCEE-9AC1C6D95216\X64\

I wanted to make the CD work, but I also wanted to be able to troubleshoot while the cd was booted, so I made a few changes.

Using the dism (part of the WIAK) I was able to change the default startup and add my drivers to the WinPE image and get a successfull restore.

The drivers I have are 64bit, so I only worked with the 64bit wim. On the CD, I extracted the BOOT.WIM from the sources directory.

Created a temp directory called mount to mount the wim file.

dism /Mount-wim /wimfile:d:\temp\boot.wim /index:1 /MountDir:d:\mount

At this point I was able to add my drivers with the following command.

dism /image:d:\mount /Add-Driver /Driver:d:\drivers\myx64.inf /ForceUnsigned

I modified D:\mount\Windows\System32\winpeshl.ini so instead of launching RestoreCDInit.exe, i just launch cmd.exe. So the line would be

AppPath = %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\cmd.exe

dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:d:\mount /commit

Now copy the WIM file back into the ISO and save it.

When I boot this ISO, it now brings me to a command prompt. I do ipconfig and verify I have an ip address so I know my NIC drivers loaded. I can now type in restorecdinit.exe and launch the restore wizard.

Thanks for sharing this one. Tim D. (of the world famous BYOB) is doing a write up on an off shute of this process and we actuall will be discussing it on the next BYOB but as it relates to a server based client restore. Good information and thanks for sharing it with the community.

Great find! I know the BYOB guys where talking about this problem last episode and I was looking forward to here what they had to add to this topic. But you seemed to work it out ok. I was just wondering if ipv6 has anything to do with it.

Regardless if we are not using a GPT partition we should not have a problem doing this natively. It should be a normal process =(