RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Before you buy OCZ Vertex 2 SSDs, Read this

Lurker

In thisAnandtech article it appears that there was some misinformation about the performance of the Vertex 2 line of SSDs.

This is a quote from a email sent to OCZ by the Author Anand Lal Shimpi on April 4th

34nm Corsair F120 - 120.1 MB/

34nm OCZ Vertex 2 120GB - 91.1 MB/s

25nm OCZ Vertex 2 120GB - 110.9 MB/s

"It's my understanding that both of these drives (from you all) are currently shipping. We have three different drives here, based on the same controller, rated at the same performance running through a real-world workload that are posting a range of performance numbers. In the worst case comparison the F120 we have here is 30% faster than your 32nm Hynix Vertex 2.

How is this at all acceptable? Do you believe that this is an appropriate level of performance variance your customers should come to expect from OCZ?

I completely understand variance in NAND speed and that you guys have to source from multiple vendors in order to remain price competitive. But something has to change here."

OCZ has committed to making new SKUs to differentiate the drives. I really encourage you to read the first three pages of his article which you can find here.

This is a very interesting read and if you read the first 4 pages it will explain all of this in detail that would be hard to explain in a short post on a forum. It also goes on to review the Vertex 3 from OCZ.

Edited by Lurker

In thisAnandtech article it appears that there was some misinformation about the performance of the Vertex 2 line of SSDs.

This is a quote from a email sent to OCZ by the Author Anand Lal Shimpi on April 4th

34nm Corsair F120 - 120.1 MB/

34nm OCZ Vertex 2 120GB - 91.1 MB/s

25nm OCZ Vertex 2 120GB - 110.9 MB/s

"It's my understanding that both of these drives (from you all) are currently shipping. We have three different drives here, based on the same controller, rated at the same performance running through a real-world workload that are posting a range of performance numbers. In the worst case comparison the F120 we have here is 30% faster than your 32nm Hynix Vertex 2.

How is this at all acceptable? Do you believe that this is an appropriate level of performance variance your customers should come to expect from OCZ?

I completely understand variance in NAND speed and that you guys have to source from multiple vendors in order to remain price competitive. But something has to change here."

OCZ has committed to making new SKUs to differentiate the drives. I really encourage you to read the first three pages of his article which you can find here.

This is a very interesting read and if you read the first 4 pages it will explain all of this in detail that would be hard to explain in a short post on a forum. It also goes on to review the Vertex 3 from OCZ.

Interesting read. Thanks for the heads up and for pointing us to the ariticle.