RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Joe_Miner

Seeking Opinion on Clean Install

Joe_Miner

Hi!

I'm planning to do a clean install of Windows 7 Pro 64b on my GA-X58A-UD3R.

My question:

one option - use my Windows 7 Pro 64b disk that I originally installed last October, use my original key (hopefully without too much trouble from MS) and let it update everything from October thru now including SP1 and IE9

2nd Option - set the Windows 7 disk aside from last October (maybe use for a new computer I'm building for my sister -- hopefully without much trouble from MS? -- originally I'd bought the new Win7w/SP1 for her build this summer) and use a NEW Windows 7 Pro 64b SP1 disk for my new clean insall -- it's so new it may only need IE9's update.

Performance wise -- should either option make a difference?

2nd Q: are there going to be issues with reinstalling other SW on my clean install -- such as the key & activation of Outlook 2010, etc.

I appoligize for asking such newbie questions.

usacomp2k3

The OEM license is good for one physical machine. So if you bought one to put on your sisters, you can't use that license on your PC. The keys don't always work with other installation media either. I'd probably try your key on the newer disks, and if it doesn't like that, then go with option A.

• Like 1

pcdoc

Hi!

I'm planning to do a clean install of Windows 7 Pro 64b on my GA-X58A-UD3R.

My question:

one option - use my Windows 7 Pro 64b disk that I originally installed last October, use my original key (hopefully without too much trouble from MS) and let it update everything from October thru now including SP1 and IE9

2nd Option - set the Windows 7 disk aside from last October (maybe use for a new computer I'm building for my sister -- hopefully without much trouble from MS? -- originally I'd bought the new Win7w/SP1 for her build this summer) and use a NEW Windows 7 Pro 64b SP1 disk for my new clean insall -- it's so new it may only need IE9's update.

Performance wise -- should either option make a difference?

2nd Q: are there going to be issues with reinstalling other SW on my clean install -- such as the key & activation of Outlook 2010, etc.

I appoligize for asking such newbie questions.

To your first question. I doubt there will be much time savings either way but using the most current make sense as long as you use the correct key number and that you are in compliance with the ULA. As for question 2, you will have to reactivate all software but that should not be an issue unless you have software from companies with idiotic controls which if you did not deactivate and uninstall first, (ie., if you you crash) force you to send them an email to reset your account. I re-install about every 6 months and there has not been much of a problem except for Adobe.

• Like 1

Joe_Miner

Thanks. You're right, I hadn't framed the question correctly in my mind. In effect my options are: either do the clean install with the original Win7 disk or do the clean install with the new Win7 SP1 disk and get another new disk later for my Sister's build.

Joe_Miner

To your first question. I doubt there will be much time savings either way but using the most current make sense as long as you use the correct key number and that you are in compliance with the ULA. As for question 2, you will have to reactivate all software but that should not be an issue unless you have software from companies with idiotic controls which if you did not deactivate and uninstall first, (ie., if you you crash) force you to send them an email to reset your account. I re-install about every 6 months and there has not been much of a problem except for Adobe.

Adobe PSE is one of em. Thanks for the Heads up.

The reason for the clean installl is I managed to corrupt my registry in places -- I traced the problem to using a registry cleaner when I shouldn't have (used to be a good idea back in the 95, 98, XP days) -- and a clean install would clear those issues up as well as give me a chance to clear out the clutter that has accumulated.

JediTim

Adobe PSE is one of em. Thanks for the Heads up.

The reason for the clean installl is I managed to corrupt my registry in places -- I traced the problem to using a registry cleaner when I shouldn't have (used to be a good idea back in the 95, 98, XP days) -- and a clean install would clear those issues up as well as give me a chance to clear out the clutter that has accumulated.

I would open each program you have and check for deactivation of the software...in addition to Adobe is iTunes. Just want to ensure you don't have issues down the road. I would also run a report keep a log of the software you have installed (Belarc Advisor) so you don't miss anything later...or keep off what you no longer use. Don't forget any drivers you may need.

• Like 1

Joe_Miner

I would open each program you have and check for deactivation of the software...in addition to Adobe is iTunes. Just want to ensure you don't have issues down the road. I would also run a report keep a log of the software you have installed (Belarc Advisor) so you don't miss anything later...or keep off what you no longer use. Don't forget any drivers you may need.

Thank you very much! I had uninstalled iTunes (which has crippled me downloading my fav podcasts :)) already and had a printout of the programs on my system but this Belarc Advisor looks like it could find and preserve some very important information down the road. Thanks again!

Joe_Miner

Thanks to everyone for the helpful hints. The reinstall has gone very well. I've tried a few things out on my reinstall -- when loading Office back on I installed the 64b version -- I've noticed a big bump in performance (in excel) with workbooks on my client and off of the server. I was also able to keep a lot of "junk" off of my machine this time around. I've gone from about 78 processes running to about 53 now typically -- amazing! All in all a great learning experience.

Adobe and iTunes were the major ones to worry about as far as having to mess with before I started my fresh install. I was expecting some issues with TurboCAD but that was easier than Adobe to deal with.

Most importantly, I got iTunes back and am pulling down podcasts again :)

JediTim

Thanks to everyone for the helpful hints. The reinstall has gone very well. I've tried a few things out on my reinstall -- when loading Office back on I installed the 64b version -- I've noticed a big bump in performance (in excel) with workbooks on my client and off of the server. I was also able to keep a lot of "junk" off of my machine this time around. I've gone from about 78 processes running to about 53 now typically -- amazing! All in all a great learning experience.

Adobe and iTunes were the major ones to worry about as far as having to mess with before I started my fresh install. I was expecting some issues with TurboCAD but that was easier than Adobe to deal with.

Most importantly, I got iTunes back and am pulling down podcasts again :)

Glad to hear it worked well for you.

usacomp2k3

I had to go back from 64-bit Office to 32-bit because there were a couple old apps that didn't work right. When I downgraded, I noticed no difference in performance of my larger spreadsheets. YMMV I guess.