RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New to WHS in general -- raid "issue"

brad

Little about what I've got going on here.

I first heard about WHS honestly because of all the fuss being made about the lack of Drive Extender, so maybe all of 4 months ago. Recently, I decided to add a 3rd PC to my setup for data storage/backup even though I already had a NAS (D-Link DNS-321...worst mistake ever) but the data transfer speeds were horrible and I was nearing capacity.

It's all brand new hardware in the machine. Currently running WHS 2011 RC2. MS is taking their sweet time sending me my technet subscriber number.

Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3

AMD Sempron (unlocked to dual core thanks to the mobo)

4 GB ram

Icy Dock 2 x 2.5" drive enclosure

LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-8i raid controller

4 x 2TB Barracuda LP 5900 rpm drives

Now here is where the raid issue came in to play. I had an additional 2 TB WD external (WDEARS) that I bought for my HTPC due to the horrendously slow data transfer speeds off the supposed gigabit capable D-Link NAS I had...I maxed its transfer speed out one day with 13 mb/s file transfer.

Since I wasn't going to be using the ext hdd anymore I decided to take it apart and put that drive in with the rest of my Raid 5 array of 4x2 TB.

I started the raid array reconstruction at 10 PM on 03/28 and it just finished at 11:30 AM on 04/10.

Don't get me wrong, I like raid a lot more than I like the idea of DE but waiting on this thing to complete the reconstruction has been worse than getting teeth pulled.

-bc

Little about what I've got going on here.

I first heard about WHS honestly because of all the fuss being made about the lack of Drive Extender, so maybe all of 4 months ago. Recently, I decided to add a 3rd PC to my setup for data storage/backup even though I already had a NAS (D-Link DNS-321...worst mistake ever) but the data transfer speeds were horrible and I was nearing capacity.

It's all brand new hardware in the machine. Currently running WHS 2011 RC2. MS is taking their sweet time sending me my technet subscriber number.

Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3

AMD Sempron (unlocked to dual core thanks to the mobo)

4 GB ram

Icy Dock 2 x 2.5" drive enclosure

LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-8i raid controller

4 x 2TB Barracuda LP 5900 rpm drives

Now here is where the raid issue came in to play. I had an additional 2 TB WD external (WDEARS) that I bought for my HTPC due to the horrendously slow data transfer speeds off the supposed gigabit capable D-Link NAS I had...I maxed its transfer speed out one day with 13 mb/s file transfer.

Since I wasn't going to be using the ext hdd anymore I decided to take it apart and put that drive in with the rest of my Raid 5 array of 4x2 TB.

I started the raid array reconstruction at 10 PM on 03/28 and it just finished at 11:30 AM on 04/10.

Don't get me wrong, I like raid a lot more than I like the idea of DE but waiting on this thing to complete the reconstruction has been worse than getting teeth pulled.

-bc

I feel your pain. Couple points to note. First, Mixing drives is probably not the safest way to go as your array "may" drop periodically and force another two week rebuild. Personally I would not do that. Many of the controllers I have seen allow you to adjust the speed of the rebuild so I am surpised at the lenght of time it is taking even though you have a huge array. My 8T array took 6.5 hours to build at high priority. I would rather get the pain over with quickly. You might want to look at you options on the card/driver. The other thing is you might want to do is make two arrays keeping the drive types together. Keep your 4 barracudas together in one RAID 5 array, and either build a stripe or mirror with the two WDs, or even add a third and make a separate array all together which is what I ended up doing. Either way, you might avoid problems downstream. BTW, that is a very nice controller yo selected and looks like it is feature packed. My two cents.

I feel your pain. Couple points to note. First, Mixing drives is probably not the safest way to go as your array "may" drop periodically and force another two week rebuild. Personally I would not do that. Many of the controllers I have seen allow you to adjust the speed of the rebuild so I am surpised at the lenght of time it is taking even though you have a huge array. My 8T array took 6.5 hours to build at high priority. I would rather get the pain over with quickly. You might want to look at you options on the card/driver. The other thing is you might want to do is make two arrays keeping the drive types together. Keep your 4 barracudas together in one RAID 5 array, and either build a stripe or mirror with the two WDs, or even add a third and make a separate array all together which is what I ended up doing. Either way, you might avoid problems downstream. BTW, that is a very nice controller yo selected and looks like it is feature packed. My two cents.

Hmm, that's a good idea. I wasn't fond of mixing the Barracudas with another drive type to begin with, but I had the WD laying around. So I thought I would throw it in to see just what happens, and now I know not to do that again. I hadn't thought about making it a 2nd array. Maybe what I'll do since I have the 4 Barracudas on the first SAS port and use the 2nd SAS port as my WD array and add drives to it. At least that way I can have the same amount of storage and only need to buy 3 drives instead of 4 more Barracudas. Thanks for the ideas.

The raid card is quite nice and I haven't had any real complaints with it other than the slow rebuild time.

Time to hit up the MicroCenter here in town now. :)

-bc