RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backup Question

Citezein

Can I back up multiple drives to one single, larger drive? I have a 160GB system drive, and two 2TB data drives for data. The data drives only have about 500GB each. Is it possible to back them all up to a single 2TB drive or 3TB drive?

Surprised this hasn't been answered already. My understanding is the answer is yes. However, I haven't tried this as I haven't built my v2 yet.

I just got another drive in today and can now answer my own question. Yes, it's possible to back up multiple drives to a single drive.

My WHS 2011 is now configured like this:

OS: Mirrored 320 Blue 2.5" drives in an IcyDock enclosure.

2TB Green: Shared Folders

2TB Green: Client Backups

2TB Green: Backing up WHS system and shared folders

I'm not yet backing up the client backups, nor do I have anything off-site configured, although I'm about to set up KeepVault for some of the important data. I'm now happy with my configuration, and this is actually all running in a VM with disk pass-throughs. My entire new server runs at about 65-70 watts most of the time, which is a huge improvement over my last server.

If I recall correctly, didn't you install S2008R2 Enterprise for you OS and using it for your VM's? If yes, how long did it take you to install WHS 2011? Mine has been at a screen "Please wait while the installation continues" for about an hour now. The bar is moving/progressing but the install isn't progressing.

If I recall correctly, didn't you install S2008R2 Enterprise for you OS and using it for your VM's? If yes, how long did it take you to install WHS 2011? Mine has been at a screen "Please wait while the installation continues" for about an hour now. The bar is moving/progressing but the install isn't progressing.

Never mind. It appears it hung up so I turned the VM off and restarted it and it continued with the load. Now to complete the set up.

Never mind. It appears it hung up so I turned the VM off and restarted it and it continued with the load. Now to complete the set up.

Glad it started working. There have been a few posts I've seen with that problem. Seems to be network related; specifically having trouble pulling am IP when used as a VM under Server2K8. Just during install. Some folks have had to command line pull an IP (presumably ipconfig? don't recall how they did it) but if you continue to have the problem I you'll find some potential solutions. I don't think anyone has really figured out the cause yet.

I actually installed ESXi as my hypervisor and am pretty pleased with it. I do have a 2008 R2 server VM running alongside WHS 2011 for playing with things.