RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Client Backup Problem

texasPI

Thanks for the suggestions. I finally got it sorted out to where I no longer have a system reserved partition, only the C: drive now. I did something incredibly stupid and just deleted the system reserve partition rendering my PC unbootable. After hours of messing with the Windows Recovery Enviroment trying to fix my MBR I finally used EASEUS partition recovery to restore the PC to its previous state. Then I did the following as outlined here and all is well again. It only took about 6 hours of my life to reach a fix... :rolleyes:

Ok, I think I figured out the problem but I'm not sure of a solution. It seems that the problem lies in the system reserve partition and the fact that it is not large enough for VSS to take a snapshot. The reserve is about 54mb in size of which only 29mb is free. In reading through various forums and topics it appears that VSS needs at least 50mb free space to take a snapshot of the partition. The question is what can I do about it? I can't just resize it without creating more problems (from what I've read). Can I delete it? I think my use of BitLocker at one point ate into the system reserve as I seem to recall it used to be about 100mb in size.

You cannot delete the 100 Meg partition and it actually should be 100 Meg. It is not clear to me how it became smaller. It does not sound like a problem that was caused by 2011 but rather carried over from you clients. I had this problem on one system for awhile. It happened when I removed Acronis from my system. All of sudden I was getting the VSS error. Have you thought of taking one of the systems that you are having an issue with and doing a clean install?

You cannot delete the 100 Meg partition and it actually should be 100 Meg. It is not clear to me how it became smaller. It does not sound like a problem that was caused by 2011 but rather carried over from you clients. I had this problem on one system for awhile. It happened when I removed Acronis from my system. All of sudden I was getting the VSS error. Have you thought of taking one of the systems that you are having an issue with and doing a clean install?

I did have Acronis installed on the problem PC at one point but uninstalled it and stopped and restarted VSS and reregistered all services. I looked at the writers and only the Microsoft service was the only one listed so I don't think that was the problem. I think my use of BitLocker shrunk the system reserved partition when I tried it as I don't have a TPM I used it with a USB key and I recall it doing something to that partition when I ran it. In any event, there is no way to resize that partition and make it 100mb again so I moved the MBR and whatever is in there to the C:/ drive, marked it as active and deleted the system reserved partition and everything is working fine now. If I have any further problems I'll just do a clean install.