RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Client Backup Problem

texasPI

Hi guys, I'm having a problem backing up a client to my WHS 2011. I've been experiencing this problem for some time now as it also happened with WHS v1 with this particular computer. I've tried re-registering VSS, chkdsk, defrag, SpinRite among other things but the problem persists. I'm using 151gb of the 465gb available on the disk so there is plenty of space on the drive. Any ideas on what else to try? Here's the error I'm getting.

backup%20error.jpg

Edited by texasPI

Hi guys, I'm having a problem backing up a client to my WHS 2011. I've been experiencing this problem for some time now as it also happened with WHS v1 with this particular computer. I've tried re-registering VSS, chkdsk, defrag, SpinRite among other things but the problem persists. I'm using 151gb of the 465gb available on the disk so there is plenty of space on the drive. Any ideas on what else to try? Here's the error I'm getting.

backup%20error.jpg

Silly question I know, but just to be clear, Is the disk you mention on the server or client?

On the client. After reading and re-reading the error message I'm wondering if its not referring to the server disk where it is trying to back up to. Probably not as the destination drive has 596gb available.

Edited by texasPI

On the client. After reading and re-reading the error message I'm wondering if its not referring to the server disk where it is trying to back up to. Probably not as the destination drive has 596gb available.

I was going to say that I think it means the server disk; that's where it's backing up to after all.

Maybe but I read somewhere that it only needs 10% above the backup size to create a snapshot. The client disk is 465gb of which only 151gb are in use. The disk on the server that it is to backup to has 596gb available. Not sure where I came across that 10% figure. Here's the wrinkle though, when I unselect the system reserve from the backup on the client disk, then the backup of C: continues without a hitch. I had this same exact behavior with this PC on my WHS v1 and it is driving me mad.

Ok, I think I figured out the problem but I'm not sure of a solution. It seems that the problem lies in the system reserve partition and the fact that it is not large enough for VSS to take a snapshot. The reserve is about 54mb in size of which only 29mb is free. In reading through various forums and topics it appears that VSS needs at least 50mb free space to take a snapshot of the partition. The question is what can I do about it? I can't just resize it without creating more problems (from what I've read). Can I delete it? I think my use of BitLocker at one point ate into the system reserve as I seem to recall it used to be about 100mb in size.

Hi Jim, I had been doing that but read that the MBR resides in the system reserve. Is that not the case?

Sorry, on a mac and can not verify, but I think if you look in Disk management it will tell you which one is the boot partition. Also, running bcdedit from command line without any parameters will give you more information. If it gives volumes instead of drive letters, you can run diskpart, list volumes to see the mappings.

I believe the system reserve is there for the WinRE and bitlocker.

I think you can move everything off of that system reserve partition with the bcdboot command. bcdboot c:\windows /s c:

This is all off the top of my head so hopefully it is somewhat accurate and will give you something to read about.

I use the native Windows 7 backup tool to create a VHD file after the initial clean install and I backup that VHD file once. After that, I only backup data.