RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

RAID Installed but there's a problem

ferraris

Hi,

Looking for some advice with my new RAID card (a Rocketraid 2684).

My plan was to have a JBOD consisting of about 3x2TB drives for my movies as I didn't see redundancy as a requirement. So I created the raid, initialised it and as it was not showing in the dashboard went into Disk Management where its shows as Drive E but split into a 2TB partition and a smaller approx 1.7TB partition. These were both unallocated and after formatting appeared in the dashboard. My expectation was that, like pcdoc's write-up, they would show as one large partition but I put that down to this being a pure JBOD(Volume) rather than a Concatenation.

So a rethink and I go for RAID 5 with the intention of adding another drive as soon as I can clear some space on my WHS v1. Set the array inititalisation off and 5 hours later I have exactly the same result!

Having looked into it a bit more, am I right in thinking that I need to format the disks in Disk Management as GPT once they've been initialised by the Raid software? Having just done that I now have one big disk at last and whilst it seems logical I've not seen it documented in any of the write-ups?

Thanks,

Simon

Hi,

Looking for some advice with my new RAID card (a Rocketraid 2684).

My plan was to have a JBOD consisting of about 3x2TB drives for my movies as I didn't see redundancy as a requirement. So I created the raid, initialised it and as it was not showing in the dashboard went into Disk Management where its shows as Drive E but split into a 2TB partition and a smaller approx 1.7TB partition. These were both unallocated and after formatting appeared in the dashboard. My expectation was that, like pcdoc's write-up, they would show as one large partition but I put that down to this being a pure JBOD(Volume) rather than a Concatenation.

So a rethink and I go for RAID 5 with the intention of adding another drive as soon as I can clear some space on my WHS v1. Set the array inititalisation off and 5 hours later I have exactly the same result!

Having looked into it a bit more, am I right in thinking that I need to format the disks in Disk Management as GPT once they've been initialised by the Raid software? Having just done that I now have one big disk at last and whilst it seems logical I've not seen it documented in any of the write-ups?

Thanks,

Simon

You guessed it. It is over 2T so it has to be GPT. That applies to any drive whether it is RAID, JBOD, or a standalone 3T drive. You are right, I do not think I put in my write ups as I did not associate that with RAID. I should have mentioned it. Good detective work on your part. All you have to do is go back into the disk manager and delete the partitions, then recreate the GPT and you should be good to go.

• Like 1

I am sorry to add my problem to this post but it is related. I just created my RAID 5 array that is 6 TB. I initialized it as GPT and showed 5588.69 GB of Unallocated space. However when I format it, the server always creates 3 volumes of ~2 TB each. I just want one 6 TB volume. Why is this and what should I do to fix?

Thanks.

I am sorry to add my problem to this post but it is related. I just created my RAID 5 array that is 6 TB. I initialized it as GPT and showed 5588.69 GB of Unallocated space. However when I format it, the server always creates 3 volumes of ~2 TB each. I just want one 6 TB volume. Why is this and what should I do to fix?

Thanks.

I'll just reply to my own post. I found that I could just format the disk from the Disk Management, instead of letting WHS2011 do it. I right clicked on the disk and created a Simple Volume and was able to create any size I wanted. All good.