RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Neophyte

Building Array on Highpoint 2680 - Sector Size

Neophyte

Building my new WHS 2011 build and utilizing the 2680 controller card. My question is...I want to build a RAID5 array using four 2TB WD EARS green drives. In the controller software UI it asks what sector size to use, from 512 MB (default) up to 4k. The manual states "Use this option if you are using an older 32-bit Windows operating system. This allows older operating systems to support volumes over 2TB in size. Do not use if the operating system already supports large volumes (such as GPT)."

Obviously WHS 2011 is 64-bit and the EARS drives have 4k sectors. Should I just leave this setting as the default (512MB)? Just want clarification.

Thanks.

Neophyte

use 4k

Will do. Thanks.

Mastiha

I've also got the 2680 but I'm a bit if a newbie.

Anyone care to give me step by step instructions?

I've installed the management tool as well however whenever I try to run it I get "no administrator 1.5.6". Anyway around this?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Mastiha

Mastiha

Worked out I had to turn IE Enhanced Security off.

pcdoc

Building my new WHS 2011 build and utilizing the 2680 controller card. My question is...I want to build a RAID5 array using four 2TB WD EARS green drives. In the controller software UI it asks what sector size to use, from 512 MB (default) up to 4k. The manual states "Use this option if you are using an older 32-bit Windows operating system. This allows older operating systems to support volumes over 2TB in size. Do not use if the operating system already supports large volumes (such as GPT)."

Obviously WHS 2011 is 64-bit and the EARS drives have 4k sectors. Should I just leave this setting as the default (512MB)? Just want clarification.

Thanks.

Actually a very good question as Highpoint really wants you to leave it the default when you try and change it as it prompts you and warns you. The reality is it will work either way but there is a performance difference (not that it is not already fast enough). It has to do with translation. Since the controller has to write to the drives independently, your answer should be to match the drives not the array. Another words, if the drive is native 4k, than use 4k. I am going to rebuild one today and post some findings and will test to see what the difference is. Good question as I do not think it has come up before.

Mastiha

I ended up using 4k as well.

pcdoc

Update,

I tested a 4T array with both a 512B sector and a 4K sector using 3 2T EARS drives and found both worked and no difference in performance so if you took the defaults, you should have no problem and if you selected the 4K sector you should be good to go.